Prologue - You Were Not Good Enough

A/N: Hello! Welcome to my new fanfic. I already have another one going which is my main focus for now. This one is more for whenever I feel like a breath of fresh air, as I am one of those people who like multiple projects. This fanfic takes a different approach in the way that Kyojuro becomes a demon rather than refusing. It will have a lot of twists and turns and while my other Rengoku fic is a slow burn, this one won't be. So if you're impatient and want to get right into the good stuff, this fic will be something I hope you enjoy!

-edit- After advertisements appearing, almost spammingly as comments, do not advertise anything in the comments of my books without my permission. I will report and delete any suspicious links to protect my readers -edit-

---

Children screeched and played as they chased each other, giggling and having fun. Most weren't even aware that a new set of parents had come in to view and pick their new adopted child. This couple already had a big family, why they wanted more was a mystery. But when their next baby seemed to take too long to appear, the father was persuaded into adoption. At first he was against it. Strongly. He wanted all his children to be blood related and he wanted a lot of them, it didn't matter to him what his wife's health was like. Even if she was smaller than the average woman. But as his friends talked him through it he became more interested. "It's basically the same, except you get to choose the child rather than leave it to your woman's body." He was eventually sold on the idea of picking a child. He became sour when he was told the process would take some time. Why was getting another child so hard?

Some time later, weeks later his trying had become effective. His wife was once again pregnant. As much as it caused her body intense strain to go through, as much as she didn't want it, she was happy. She loved children, not matter what the situation was. She'd do anything she could for her own. She told her husband, expecting him to be happy of the news. He was sour, angry even. His mind had been changed and his heart was set on the idea of choice. Suddenly it was being taken away. So even if his wife was pregnant for the eighth time like he wanted, he would still adopt a child. He'd pick the perfect one.

He ended up picking the perfect two. Twins. One was a boy and one was a girl, both with names unique. Again he was denied his choice as the twins were better suit to another family, on that same day his wife was giving birth. He wasn't there. He didn't care about this blood related child. His anger at being refused the children and caused the stress to force his wife into labour, and when the child was born he showed up late. He wanted at least one choice. The name. When he saw a daughter in his wife's arms he was even more enraged. Of course he'd not have another son. He only ever wanted sons. And the sons he did have were dissapointing. Even the one that had just been born a year or two ago, he didn't even remember, was dissapointing. Maybe his wife was the problem. He couldn't return her loving smile.

"Meet Y/N."

"Y/N?"

"Yes, it was the name of one of the twins you wanted from the orphanage..." The wife was nervous, unsure if her husband would like the choice. As much as the rage filled his heart, he had to admit that was the name he would have chosen for his daughter. But it wasn't about the name. It was about him choosing. And so he huffed. "I expect dinner to be ready by the time I get back." Who cares if she had just given birth? They'd keep going until he had a son he decided was worth it.

Later that day the mother returned home with the help of a doctor. But it ended at her home's front door. As she wandered in she was surrounded by excited children, eyes glowing as they watched with gentle curiosity. Only the two eldest had less interest, knowing it was dangerous every time their mother went through this. But soon their hearts softened to the new sibling.