Chapter 1 - Nice To Meet You

A/N: Please let me know if anything in this fic is inaccurate to the anime, I'd like to know so I can learn and fix it! Hope you enjoy!

---

"I hate to ask this of you but are you able to take on the closing shift for today?" Y/N stared at her boss with a soft smile, cheery personality letting her always seem approachable to customers.

"Of course, anything!" She laughed out, a closed eye smile making its way across her face. "I owe you my life."

"There's no need for that. You can finish early if it's quiet." It was true. After a tragic incident in her home village her family had been completely wiped out. She was only a year old, her name was luckily sewn into her clothes. It was all she had, her first name. Somehow the manager of this bar managed to find her on a journey. He had taken her in and raised her like his own child. But he was always honest with her. He had never found anyone else from her family alive, and had offered to adopt her so that she had somewhere to stay. There wasn't even a surname and she wasn't near a village at all. She just had her name, her clothes torn before her surname could be revealed. But knowing how easily she could have died, she owed the male before her so much. He was like a father to her, his wife like a mother. She was at home right now, most likely making her amazing ramen recipe she refused to give up, even to the restaurant her husband owned.

"Another double shift again?" Her colleague questioned behind the bar, the woman huffed in confirmation. He chuckled as he stopped leaning on the counter in front of him. "They should honestly fire her, she never shows up to shifts."

"Well she's their niece, family relations are important..." Y/N didn't want to say more. It wasn't her business and in the end, she was getting paid for it. Did it annoy her? Sure. She loved her job, so it was fine.

An hour later rush hour was starting to end and y/n was sweating. She was so out of energy that it took a toll on her as she pushed through the last of the customers of today's busy time. Only then did her boss's niece show up for her shift, a full hour late. Of course she conveniently missed rush hour, y/n was just glad she showed up. What was only about one minute felt like forever as she waited for her non-blood relative to clock in.

Her body plonked down onto her favourite spot within the location, cozy and dark. Especially as it was now dark outside, the candles created such a comfy atmosphere. It was relaxing and just what she needed after such a busy shift. Sake and a delicious homemade meal from the kitchen was placed in front of her without her even ordering, they knew exactly what she wanted. Her usual that she would order after every shift if she wasn't closing. If it weren't for the fact that she was in public she would have fallen asleep, but she knew better than to leave herself exposed.

In the corner of her eye she saw bright yellow hair with red ends, it must have been their usual customer. The grumpy alcoholic that lost his wife and depended on alcohol to help him feel better. It wasn't her business. He has been coming less and less often too, maybe he was changing his life for the better. That would be nice. Her e/c eyes narrowed as she recalled the memory of Senjuro, his son coming to the restaurant depressed. He had said something completely insane, at least to most people. That his older brother had become a demon. She had heard of the legend, but she didn't believe it. Her adoptive parents would always tease her about it too. It didn't exist. The boy, however, was so distraught that even if he didn't seem sane, she listened. It made him feel better and that was what she wanted. The elder brother he mentioned most likely passed away, poor thing. He must have been suffering so much from the grief to have thought of something like that.

A smooth voice she had never heard before sounded from the bar, drawing her attention away from her thoughts. It was the male she had thought was the usual customer. But it wasn't him...It was someone else. He leaned over the bar and in a very charming tone requested what he wanted. Her cousin swooned easily and flirted back. Y/N scoffed, e/c looking outside at the people passing by. She wondered what they would be up to. Daydreaming as she placed her finished meal to the side she played with the sake, spinning the cup slowly. Her colleague broke her thoughts.