16. it counts even if he ditches you on Valentine's Day

It's not until Valentine's Day that things start to get tense.

Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with Valentine's Day itself. The day falls on a Friday, conveniently enough, and Levi books the two of you reservations for a nice restaurant the next town over- only a thirty minute drive away. You spend all of early February looking forward to it, planning out your outfit in your head.

With Hange busy doing a lab, you're alone in the safety of your apartment to get ready. You play some of your favorite music and suit up in a simple black dress, taking the time to include the necklace that Levi gave you. It's too cold outside for any open-toed shoes, so you stick with your black boots.

When Levi texts you that he's here, you nearly skip to the elevator, wrapped gift in your hands. When you get outside, he's standing outside of his car, and he smirks when he sees you. "Look at you," Levi says as you close the distance. "Clean up well."

"So do you," you agree, beaming as you reach for him. He's wearing a black turtleneck and slacks, which he does often enough, but god, you're a sucker for the turtleneck. "Hi."

"Hi," Levi murmurs, and he kisses you. You nearly melt to the ground. When he breaks away, he pulls open the passenger door of his car. "Come on. You'll get cold."

Smiling, you slip into the car. You keep the box in your lap, and when Levi moves around the car to get in through his side, you hold it out to him. "Your gift. I know we said nothing huge, and I promise, it's not. I hope you like it."

Gifts in a relationship are always a headscratcher, especially this soon- you've been dating for barely a month and a half. What's an appropriate gift? You and Levi decided on nothing huge, but a simple gift would be good. So you'd caught a bus after class one day to get to a town over an hour away- you'd found a teashop online with a bunch of unique blends that they make by hand. Tea is simple, right? Even if you bought a lot of it?

Levi's lips twitch, and he takes the box from you, then twists to set it in the backseat. "Yours is back there," he says, and you turn your head to see a white box. "After dinner?"

"After dinner," you agree. With Levi's hand on your thigh, the two of you set out.

The restaurant is lovely. It's fancy and elegant- and it's packed full of other couples. Luckily, the hostess puts you at a booth in the corner of the restaurant, so you and Levi have some semblance of privacy.

Everything about this place is so posh: the seats, the candles, the waiters and waitresses. "This is incredible," you say as you slide your coat off. "Thank you so much for booking this."

Levi slides into his side of the booth. "Are you going to do something stupid like offer to pay?"

You bite back your smile. "Maybe."

"Do I get to shoot you down?"

"It's your favorite part of the meal, isn't it?"

The waiter brings menus to the two of you, and soon enough, he's back and pouring wine. You would never consider wine to be your go-to drink, but whatever you and Levi picked out ("this one sounds fancy, let's do that one") is rich and genuinely quite good. 

Levi slides the menu to you. "What do you want?"

All of the dishes look so fancy and are titled as such, so you're genuinely not sure what some of them are. "I don't know," you admit. "What about you?"

He shrugs. "We could just stay here for the whole night. Try a bunch of shit."

"I'd be fine with that." You remember Hange, and you sigh. "How would we get out of movie night tonight?"