The War Begins

Chapter 14

Savage

Sutton feels so small and fragile in my arms as we sit in my favorite leather chair in the corner of the clubhouse. My father has called Oli to let him know Sutton is on board and now everyone is just waiting for the sheriff to arrive. Savage's mind is a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions; I can see it etched across her fragile face. I can not lose Sutton after I just found her. I know she is not fragile physically and can handle herself, but that knowledge does not comfort me. I am mostly worried how the upcoming events would affect Sutton mentally and emotionally. She is going to bring her father down and she knows that her actions would lead to his death. I hope Sutton has truly come to terms with that fact. I feel Sutton shift in my lap and I look up to see her peering down at me with a worried look on her face.

"What you got rolling around in that head of yours outlaw?" Suttons voice is gentle, but I notice the under tone of concern. I try to muster a genuine smile for my girl.

"I'm ok baby, just working everything out in my brain." Sutton gives me a sweet smile.

"Don't think to hard. Everything is going to be ok." I squeez her gently.

"I know darlin. I will just be glad when we are on the other side of this."

Sutton nods

"Me too baby. Me too." Then she leaned down and plants a soft kiss on my lips. Then we both go back to the silence of the room.

Oli walks in not to long after our exchange. The old man gives his greetings to everyone and Mad Dog approaches us.

"Come on sweetheart, time to do this."

Sutton stood from my lap and it takes every ounce of my will power to let her go. She takes my hand and tugs at it.

"Come on outlaw. I want you by my side."

As I stand, I tell her.

"I would not be anywhere else."

I watch as Oli wires Sutton up and gives her instructions. The plan is that just after sunset several members of the MC and Oli would go to Savage's parents' house. They were supposed to park down the road and walk up to the property, so Pope would not hear them coming and think the place is still empty. Savage and Sutton will head over about thirty minutes after everyone else. Savage will drive up, so Pope would hear his motorcycle. After he drops off Sutton he is to drive around the corner and park his bike then head back on foot to give Pope the illusion that he has left. Sutton will go in to confront her father and Savage will wait with the others listening for him to confess. Once Travis Pope has admitted he killed his wife Rena, Oli will bust in and arrest the bastard. The plan sounds simple enough but I can not shake my feeling of unease.

The clubhouse is quiet as everyone sits around waiting for the sun to set. When the time finally comes Mad Dog motions to Oli and the members going with him. As he passed by Sutton and me, he gives us a nod.

"30 minutes."

I nod to my father and pull Sutton in closer. She lays her head on my shoulder and I inhal the scent of her soft dark hair. With every second that ticks by the unease turns to dread and it begins to settle into the pit of my stomach.

Chapter 15

Sutton

Savages bike rumbles to a stop, but he does not bother to kill the engine as I dismount it. Without a word I lean in and gave him a quick kiss. A street lamp is the only illumination and I can see that his face is set into a hard expression. I step back from the motorcycle and he revs the engine once before pulling away and heading down the street. I stand in the street just in front of my house and watch his taillights disappear around the corner. I turn and look at the dark house. No visible lights anywhere, silently I wonder if my father is even home. Maybe all this worry and brave face I have been putting on is for nothing. What if the bastard that has raised me has already fled like the coward he is? With a deep breath I will my feet to walk up the long driveway to the front door. When I reach the large wooden door with ornate glass in the center I curse under my breath. "Fuck, I do not have my keys." Trying the door knob, I am surprised to find it is unlocked. That is strange, I think to myself. It's not like my father to leave the door unlocked. With a turn of the knob and a tentative push I step inside quietly closing the door behind me. The house is pitch black dark and it takes me eyes a moment to adjust. Once I can see a little I scan my surroundings. First I scan the entry way, then the dining room to my right and everything appears empty and normal, as best I can tell. When I look to the study on my left, I am about to declare it is empty as well when a lamp clicks on in the corner.