Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I have to go to my special class. I studied in advance for this subject last night, so I can catch up.

When I went inside it was still Mr. Smith inside. He's writing something on the board. Equations.

"Good Morning Sir," he looked at me and nodded and he went back to what he was doing.

I sat down on my chair, where I was seated yesterday. I looked at the board. Looks complex.

As minutes passed my classmates are now filling the room.

Mr. Smith is already discussing it, and I'm taking notes, so I can study it later.

"For a mixture of ideal gases, the volume fraction equals the mole fraction phi equals xi," he looked at us.

"Calculate the volume fractions in a solution prepared by mixing 40 cm3 of ethanol and 160 cm3 of water. Is it possible to calculate the volume of the solution based on this data?" He asked. He looked at us again. Why is he so scary? I continue jotting down notes.

"Ms. Croix. Do you have any idea?" I slowly raised my head. I feel their eyes on me. I slowly stand up.

"Look at the numbers on the board. Do you think you can calculate the volume of the solution?"

"T-The volume of a solution cannot be calculated using the volumes of pure substances S-Sir." His eyebrows met.

"B-But it has to be measured. In the considered mixture of ethanol and water, it will be smaller than 160 + 40 = 200 cm3." He put his index finger to his chin and nodded. I sat back.

"Using the van der Waals equation of state, calculate the pressure and compressibility factor of a substance whose critical temperature is 800 K and critical pressure is 8.314 MPa, at a temperature of 1000 K and a molar volume of 1100 cm3 mol−1, what should we do first?"

"We first estimate the constants a and b from the specified critical quantities, using equations B = 0." We all looked at where the voice came from.

Him... He's just sitting.

Mr. Smith nodded again.

"Then, Ms. Richards?"

"Then, The pressure is calculated from the first of equations." The Blake girl answered.

"What equations? Mr. Choi?" My neighbor.

"Uh. Virial expansion?"

"And?"

"The compressibility factor can be calculated from the second of equations Virial expansion or the definition of Boyle Temperature," Kain answered again. He's smart.

I immediately calculated in my notebook based on what he has said.

"The final answer is Ms. Croix?" I looked at him immediately and looked at my notebook.

"U-Uh 0.8545..." I whispered.

"The result is z = 0.8545," I said.

He paused. He looked at me suspiciously. He took the calculator and calculated it himself. He looked at me again.

"Indeed..." He almost whisper, but we can hear him clearly.

He nodded and continued his discussion.

I give a big exhale. Whispers from them didn't escape from me.

---

After having lunch. We had P.E. every Thursday. I am with my original classmates in the gym.