Part 9: Can

Song: Mariah Carey's We belong together

I didn't mean it when I said I didn't love you so

I shoulda held on tight, I never shoulda let you go
I didn't know nothing, I was stupid, I was foolish
I was lying to myself
I couldn't have fathomed I would ever be without your love
Never imagined I'd be sitting here beside myself
Guess I didn't know you, guess I didn't know me
But I thought I knew everything I never felt

The feeling that I'm feeling now that I don't hear your voice
Or have your touch and kiss your lips 'cause I don't have a choice
Oh, what I wouldn't give to have you lying by my side
Right here, 'cause, baby (We belong together)

When you left, I lost a part of me (Together)
It's still so hard to believe
Come back, baby, please
(Come back, come back, come back, come back)
'Cause we belong together
Who else am I gonna lean on when times get rough? (Who else)
Who's gonna talk to me on the phone 'til the sun comes up? (Who else)
Who's gonna take your place? There ain't nobody better (Who else)
Oh, baby, baby, we belong together

***

"Akif, iyimisin?" Can you duck out of work and grab a drink?" Can asked as weaved his truck through the traffic.

"Abi, you're back? Hoş geldin." Akif's voice sounded out through the Bluetooth speaker.

"I just got back. I'm really stressed and I need to talk to you."

"Is this about Sanem? What are you doing to her? She's always sad after talking with you."

"Sacma! Stop talking nonsense, Akif!" Can snapped, rubbing his beard.

"Tamam. I'll see you in a bit." Akif replied.

"Do me a favour and don't lecture me okay? Not today." Can growled as the call disconnected.

Of the three childhood friends, Akif was the most astute. He always saw through Can and Metin and had this way of drilling down to the heart of the matter.

They had all met when he and Metin were 11 years old and Akif, a year older. Can, hurt and disillusioned by his mum leaving the family home and taking his younger brother, Emre, with her, had hounded his dad to send him off to boarding school.

He'd done his research about the possibilities of schools with a list of pros and cons for each. Finally, he'd narrowed the options down to the British International School. Though Aziz had been reluctant to send his older son away, especially with Emre gone, he'd eventually been won over when, one evening, Can had shown his father an impressive PowerPoint presentation showcasing the benefits of an education at such a prestigious school.

In his first week, he'd kept to himself as he observed and tried to get the lay of the land. Even at that young age, Can was a keen people-watcher. He'd spotted Metin first. Often found holding court in large groups, his ambitious yet gentle grey eyes would sparkle as he put forth his latest legal theory. Metin, a trust-fund baby from one of Istanbul's wealthier families, had his heart set on a career in the judiciary even back then and he wasn't bashful about letting everyone know it. One day, when some upstart, in Metin's opinion, dared to challenge his argument, he'd pulled Can into the fray, inviting him to arbitrate. Can didn't remember exactly what he'd said but it had obviously been to Metin's liking as, from that day, Metin had stuck to his side like white on rice.

Akif, the quietest of the trio, was a scholarship student. While admission was based on being able to afford the school fees, exceptions were made in some cases. He came from a humble family who couldn't afford the exorbitant school fees. His dad ran a printing press which had been passed down to him by his father and the family of six were just about getting by.