Part 16: Sanem

Song: It's too late to apologise by Timbaland ft OneRepublic

I'm holding on your rope
Got me ten feet off the ground
And I'm hearing what you say
But I just can't make a sound

You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down, but wait
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say

That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late
Too late, oh

I'd take another chance, take a fall
Take a shot for you
And I need you like a heart needs a beat
But it's nothing new, yeah yeah

I loved you with a fire red, now it's turning blue
And you say sorry like the angel
Heaven let me think it was you
But I'm afraid

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late, whoa

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, yeah, too late

I'm holding on your rope
Got me ten feet off the ground

***

Rubbing her head, Sanem tried to ease the throbbing. She closed her eyes and rested her aching head on the back of her chair. She'd been feeling this tension since Levent and Meryem had returned from the initial consultation meeting with Fikri Harika the day before and told her that Can would be working on the campaign himself.

When Levent had informed her that she and Meryem would be working with Fikri Harika on their advertising campaign, she'd convinced herself that it would be Deren rather than Can who would take lead.

Though she'd managed to get out of the first meeting, she knew it was only a matter of time before she'd be face to face with him. The thought of being back in the agency and working so closely with Can again filled her with dread and joy in equal measure.

She cast her mind back to her time at Fikri Harika. Though she'd been employed as a runner, under Can's leadership and with his encouragement, she'd quickly worked her way up to intern assistant copywriter. He'd lauded her ideas and celebrated her successes, empowering her with a belief in herself that she hadn't hitherto realised she was lacking. She'd blossomed under his staunch support of her.

Wheeling her chair over to Sanem's desk, Meryem brought Sanem out of her reminiscing. "You haven't really said anything since I told you we'd be working with your Can." She wiggled her eyebrows, laughter deepening the lines around her eyes.

"He's not my Can anymore," Sanem muttered as she pretended to be engrossed in her work. What could she say? That the prospect of working so closely with Can again filled her with such immense pleasure, she felt like a feather floating in the wind? That the very idea of being so close to him as just a colleague plummeted her to a dark abyss out of which she couldn't find her way? That she was an emotional mess just thinking about it? What could she say?

Ignoring Sanem's non-committal response, Meryem ploughed on. "Uff, Sanem, Sanem, Sanem!" Meryem chanted in a theatrical voice, as though she was acting on stage as she fanned herself with a melodramatic flourish. "Photographs don't do that man justice. Allah-lah! Can bey is so handsome, I thought I would melt from the effervescence of his beauty."

Rolling her eyes, Sanem leaned back in her chair and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Well, if he's not your Can anymore, you won't mind this then." Shoving Sanem away from the desktop, Meryem typed into the search engine, clicked on a link and waved at Sanem to read.