3 - Back Behind Bars

This chapter is dedicated to one of my WP BFFs, TheWriterD, who has also volunteered recently to be my number one beta reader so if you find any typos, blame it on her XD. She has been a avid Rena fan from the start and has scored 2nd place in the pre-lauch contest. Virtual hug!

There are no changes to this chapter compared to draft I.

3 - Back Behind Bars

Rena's POV

"I got this."

The voice behind me makes my insides freeze and I reluctantly turn around to face Ryan Parks who is strolling along the corridor with Sam on his heels. A gun is stuck in a holster under his armpit and the FBI badge dangles loosely around his neck, probably to intimidate the local cops in the precinct. A wide smirk is plastered on his face - he got me exactly where he wants me.

When he grabs my arm, a shudder runs through me and I pull away. "Don't touch me."

I used to totally lose it when men sought out any type of physical contact, but the therapy sessions with Doc have been helpful enough to avoid a total meltdown every time it happens. It still bothers me, but I can hide my discomfort.

Ryan rolls his eyes. "Impertinent as usual." His glare penetrates every fiber of my body - I feel totally unprotected when he looks at me that way. "I really don't understand what my son ever saw in you."

He extends his hand to follow him and I trot behind like a lost child who is being summoned to the principal's office. Sandwiched between the two FBI agents, my scalp tingles in anticipation of oncoming trouble. I am pretty sure he will take the booking process as an opportunity to talk to me without my lawyer, damn well knowing it's against the rules. Yet, Ryan has never valued regulations that didn't benefit his cause.

To my surprise, he slumps into a chair and allows Sam to take over as soon as we get to the booking area. The other cops are shooed away with a nod of Sam's head and he pushes the door closed with the tip of his foot.

"I guess you know how this works, Ms. Cooper." He gets a fresh index card from the counter. "I will first take your fingerprints."

With a sigh, I offer him my right hand and glance at Ryan. "Isn't this out of your jurisdiction? I'm surprised that the cops just let you run the place."

Ryan leans back, cupping his hands behind his head. "I just finished an unrelated case in Chicago and some cops owed me a favor. That's how it works in law enforcement - we are all a big family."

It is something I learned the hard way. Ryan has always managed to know every little detail of my life, having not only visibility to my probation file for some unknown reason but has also exposed every single slip-up so far.

He even figured out the disaster with Connor which ultimately made me lose sole custody of Noah in the first place. My father tried to work against him since he is a well-respected member in the Chicago police force but Ryan, with his FBI connections, has always succeeded to stay ahead of the game.

Sam rolls my right index finger over the ink pad before pushing the tip on the index card. A clear imprint is left behind. He moves on to the next finger, yet I feel his eyes upon me every time I twitch. The ticking of the clock on the wall is the only sound in the room and brings back memories of the night Brent tortured me. Cold sweat makes my shirt stick to my back and I cringe under Ryan's constant stare.

He finally breaks the silence. "You know, Rena, it doesn't have to be this way. Charlotte and I don't want to see you in prison. That's not in Noah's best interest."