Epilogue - It's All About Choices

This chapter is dedicated to all my readers who have been accompanying me on Rena's journey so far. I couldn't have done it without you.

Epilogue – It's All About Choices

Rena's POV

"Noah, hurry up. Gogi will be here any minute."

In response, drool from the cracker he is munching runs down his chin. With big wide eyes, he regards me calmly, probably thinking that I am crazy for expecting an eighteen month old to pack his bags.

I gaze out the window where the sun is mocking me high up in the sky. Usually, I don't mind the heat, but today, I will sweat like a pig under my gown. I am nervous as it is without having to fear a heat stroke.

The doorbell rings.

"I'll get it," my dad calls out.

I randomly toss another couple of shirts into the bag. That should be enough. With puckered lips, I scan the room to make sure I didn't forget anything.

"Nervous?"

I spin around to find Charlotte casually leaning in the doorway. Noah stretches his arms out with a squeal, but is ignored for the moment when she strolls over to me. With expert fingers, she tucks a loose strand of my hair into the bun.

"You look very pretty in that dress. Your mom would have been proud."

I swallow the building lump in my throat. "How was Brent's graduation?"

"He didn't go. Since he graduated early, he still had to complete summer school. They wouldn't have given him his diploma, so Ryan felt it was pointless."

Another thing she missed out on as a mother because of her husband. "Well, I'm really glad you could come."

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

Noah must have felt ignored when a protesting whimper originates from his mouth.

Charlotte finally focuses her full attention on him. "And how is my little honey bear today? All set for your weekend with Gogi?"

More drool spills from his mouth as she picks him up. Some of it stains her dress a little, but she doesn't seem to mind. Cooing at him with funny faces, his gaze is fixed on her lips. I can't help but laugh. They make the funniest team.

My dad pokes his head in. "Ready?" He is a couple of shades paler than usual. When I don't move, his whole body appears in the door frame. His tie is all crooked and his hair disheveled. Chewing his lips, he looks like a terrified boy on the way to the principal's office.

"Here, let me get that for you, Frank," Charlotte says. The twisted knot of the tie is replaced with a meticulous one in under a minute. "And comb your hair. There'll be pictures and you don't want to remember your only daughter's high school graduation with you looking a mess."

"Yes, Ma'am."

His response gets her to snicker. They have gotten closer in the three months since the hearing. Having both lost the love of their lives, my dad has helped Charlotte to come to terms with Tivon Goldstein's death. I still can't believe that she carried on an affair with her lawyer right under everyone's noses for close to a year. It was the last thing I expected and I still hold a grudge against Kade for not telling me.

My father checks his watch. "We should go." Hopping from foot to foot, he gazes at us expectantly.

"Relax, we still have plenty of time." I check myself one more time in the mirror. For most kids, today marks the end of their carefree lives, but for me, it's one step closer to getting off probation. Just a little over two years to go and I might even try college. With therapy and all that community service coming up, it seems like an unachievable goal at the moment.