7 - The Battle Begins

This chapter is dedicated to mindless_mochanini who I haven't seen around for a while. I hope things are going OK for you XD

7 - The Battle Begins

Charlotte's POV

We ended up hiring Tivon Goldstein anyhow after Ryan got the run around and some lawyers even blew him off completely when he called up to schedule an initial consultation. It wasn't until later that I learned about Tivon's power with the Illinois Bar Association. As one of the most active members in family law with a lot of pull, most attorneys wouldn't touch the case after receiving the memo that he was interested. The only ones who were totally left out of the loop were the Fallons since they were not only Tivon's nemesis but also rumored to be the ones on the other side. Tivon didn't want to spoil the element of surprise.

Ryan hired a private investigator Tivon hooked him up with. His name was Barnabas Williams, referring to himself only as Barney, and he tracked Rena's every move. Noah was born on the 6th of December, a few weeks ahead of schedule, and Ryan arranged to have Rena served with the custody papers on her eighteenth birthday to show her he meant business. The response to our petition arrived just as strategically on New Year's Eve and as expected, alleged all kinds of domestic and child abuse which would place Noah 'in an unsafe environment which could be detrimental to his development and wellbeing'. Ryan was furious and contentious, raging and ranting all evening until he finally snapped. The night ended with me celebrating the start into the New Year by nursing new bruises on my back.

The first hearing was scheduled for the second Friday in January. Ryan and I flew up to Chicago the night before but stayed at a different hotel. He had written a long letter of complaint to the company's headquarters and had gotten an equal long letter of apology with the assurance that the security guard was in a lot of trouble for being so insensitive, especially since Ryan was an FBI official who couldn't have done anything wrong. The ignorance of some people - statistics suggested that domestic violence was particularly high among law enforcement employees.

Tivon greeted us upon arrival at the courthouse. "Ok, we got Judge Oaks. He is an old grump who believes in efficiency and follows the law to a T."

"Is that good?" Ryan asked.

I didn't dare gaze at Tivon though I felt his eyes upon me.

"Well, he is old school. He doesn't particularly like young, unwed mothers, but this case involves grandparents' rights which are a hot political topic at the moment. He is up for reelection next year and it could swing either way."

"So what will happen today?" Ryan tapped his foot, glancing around, probably to find Rena who was nowhere around.

"It will just be a short appearance. The best we can hope for is some visitation and he will set a future hearing date. The docket is full, so it could take six months or more."

I noticed Rena before the men - she strutted down the corridor with her chin held up high, flanked by the two Fallon brothers. I remembered the one from the trial but couldn't tell them apart - they looked totally identical right down to their matching ties. Rena was wearing that bratty pout that Brent had adored so much, but that had always bothered me. Her hair was pulled up in a meticulous bun and she was wearing a business suit, making her appear older than her eighteen years.

The anger and hate flared up without warning. She didn't deserve being here but should be behind bars for what she had done to my son. Her atrocious act was despicable and had destroyed our family - the least she could do now was turn my grandson over to us to make things right. Noah shouldn't be raised by a cold blooded murderer who took his father away from him.