Chapter 16: Talk

I slowly walked out of school with the feeling of butterflies and the want to throw up still in place since receiving the message from Luz. Instead of sitting down at one of the uplifted concrete walls that held the school's hedges and bushes, mostly used as seating, I made my way over to the side of the building where our school cafeteria was and where the bus pick-up was.

Barely turning the corner I could see Luz sitting on a far bench looking at the last of the bus kids piling into a bus. My heart sped up and I felt as though I would pass out any minute but didn't as I forced my way over to Luz. By the time I was close enough to her, barely a few feet away, Luz finally noticed me.

"Hey amity!" she said with a smile, instinctively I tightened my grip on my backpack strap. I casually took a seat on the bench next to her as Luz didn't give any chance for an awkward atmosphere to form. She immediately cut to the chase as her smile faltered.

"Look, I'm just gonna cut to the chase Amity. What's up with you? Like why did you act like I wasn't there when that girl was starting stuff with Willow? And why is Willow telling me to watch out when I'm around you? what's with that? Were y'all friends or something what's the deal???" She tried to stare into my eyes but I avoided her gaze immediately as the anxiety from earlier increased with a mix of guilt now.
*sigh* "Clearly something is going on Amity, I'm not oblivious. Can you at least tell me what's wrong? Does it have something to do with me? Did I do something wrong?" she said in a guilty tone as I quickly turned to her.

"NO! Of course not, it was never your doing!" I quickly reassured her as she had now a questioning look as I unconsciously held my hands together feeling the sweat of my palms. "It's just... personal stuff... I-I can't explain and-"

"Hey, Hey, Hey!" she quickly cut me off as she grabbed my shoulders. "It's difficult, I know. Personal problems are not fun, I didn't mean to pressure you. It's just... I thought It was my fault and I did something wrong. But, it's something more than that right," I didn't give her an answer before she released her grip from my shoulder. "I'm sorry, it's just... I thought I had a good friend for once, not counting Gus and Willow, and when you ignored me I guess... I thought I did something wrong again and-"

"Luz-" I cut her off and was about to reassure her when my ringer went off and I immediately saw that it was from my sibling's group chat once I pulled out my phone.

-"bit late, down the street, be ready"- Amelia

"Sorry Luz... Amelia is down the street, I gotta go before she gets impatient," I explained as I got up and was about to leave.

"Oh wait!" Luz quickly yelled while shooting up from her seat. She looked around up before twirling her finger casting a spell as a book appeared. " I, uh, forgot to give this to you at the flea market before you left," she shyly said as she held out the book allowing me to see the cover.

"Volume 7...." I whispered as I reached out to grab it but was quickly pulled back away from my hands. "huh?"

"Before I give this to you, it was REALLY good by the way, you gotta do something for me..." I gulped as she smiled and held back out the book with her other hand holding out a pinkie.

"I need you to make a promise, your human promise. Pinky promises I think they're called right?" I didn't answer but just stared at her. I felt my face flush at her antics as she had a childish smile on her face that I quickly took a liking to. "You gotta promise that no matter what or who we're with, we will act how we usually act, normal, weird, whatever. We'll be ourselves and be truthful with one another, so don't act differently with me and I promise I won't ever do it to you, okay?" I was hesitant as the thought of my mother came to mind before I intertwined our pinkies, I like hanging out with Luz. I don't want her to leave.
She gave me the book and my worries were immediately replaced with joy. Before I could say anything else though I noticed the shift in Luz's shirt as something crawled up to her collar before popping its head out.