Kabanata 20

Veric

Kasteel Sangria was an imposing man. He had this way of looking at someone as if he was a dire wolf and he just set his sight on fresh meat he wanted to devour, chew, and spit after he got bored of it.

It didn't help that he possessed a pair of strange-looking eyes. His right iris was coal-black, while his left eye had the faint shade of emerald. Mukha siyang hindi pangkaraniwang nilalang 'pag matagal mo siyang pinagmamasdan.

Even a straight man like me knew he was a good-looking man despite the eeriness of his cold hard gaze. And with a face sculpted to perfection, and a body of a god hidden beneath the fabric of his crisp black tuxedo, it was a wonder why he'd chosen to remain unmarried.

He was three years older than me, and his pissed-off demeanor was permanently etched in his face for as long as I'd known him.

He was ruthless, unforgiving, and a snake.

Kasteel was the youngest capo dei capi to have ever ascended a Cosa Nostran Throne after he'd successfully assassinated his own tyrannical father and convinced the entire Clan to let him take his place.

That exhibition of gut and brutality was enough to leave the Clan shaking on their knees and handed the Throne to him on a silver platter.

The Throne belonged to Kasteel as if he was born to claim it.

"Care to explain why you brought an outsider here, Veric?" This was a question from Maeldan, the capocrimine of the House Moriarti. His slick-back hair was perfect as ever and his grey eyes were colder than winter. Nakatitig siya sa akin na para bang gusto niya akong kagatin.

Currently, we were all seated around the High Table in the Court of Ages. It was a private meeting and only the capocrimines of each House were required to be present in the wide hall. No consiglieres, no sicarios.

I remained stoic and didn't respond to Maeldan's inquisition. My explanation would be intended for the Godfather's ears only, whom right now, was silently watching us like a hawk at the head of the long table.

"It's none of your business, Maeldan. Abby Solis is Veric's wife, and that alone makes her one of us," Derrano stated in my defense as he played with a grape between his fingers after plucking it from a fruit bowl.

"Does she have the Sangria Mark?" sunod na tanong ni Maeldan.

Derrano glanced at me, a brow raised in question. "Does she?"

Releasing a sigh, I said, "No. But I'll make it official soon. We've been busy these past couple of months. She'll have the Mark after the Conclave." Getting the tattoo of the dragon fly symbol on your bottom lip was excruciating painful. And since Abby wasn't my real wife, she didn't need to have it just so we could make the image of a happy married couple believable.

Hendrix let out a rumbling laughter, all his white teeth showing. Kahit na magkamukha sila ng kambal niya, the three-line scar running across his face made him distinguishable from Hexon. "That's the most incompetent thing I've ever heard from a don," sabi nito. "Are you sure you're even the leader of a House?"

I didn't let Hendrix's insult lose my collectedness. So, I just stared at him blankly in response. Hindi ako magpapaapekto at magpapatinag sa mga pinagsasasabi nila. Kasteel would be the only judge of me bringing an Unmarked in the Cosa Nostra.

"Veric," a familiar deep voice called me.

My eyes immediately pulled away from Hendrix's punchable face and landed on the Godfather.

Kasteel's eyes were penetrating, and even with the thick suit I was wearing, I felt exposed under his gaze.

The Godfather didn't scare me, though. I was just cautious of him. 'Pag kaharap mo ang ganitong uri ng tao, kailangan mo talagang patatagin ang mga pader mo para hindi ka tumiklop sa talim ng tingin nila.