CH 5

The sun was setting and my resolve had hardened. I hoped it wasn't as noticeable as it felt. It was another long day's ride and the air was changing. I could already smell the sea salt in the air. It didn't smell like home anymore. I slipped off the horse, clumsily, knocking over the leader and landing on top of him. I almost gagged at the feel of his hands on my waist. I averted my gaze, looking down at his trousers, more specifically his pocket where the key he used last night had slipped out just a little bit. As we stood back up, I slid my hand into his pocket and grabbed the key with my fingertips. The look on his face suggested that he felt it but that he didn't suspect anything. I slowly let out the breath I was holding.

I was able to sneak back into the girls' tent after dinner. The men had broken into bottles of ale and were being too unruly to notice my absence. I slipped into the tent, glancing around but nobody was looking.

They were huddled together, the rope connecting them together didn't allow for much room. A few of them had their eyes closed and the ones that were awake, stared at nothing. I knelt next to Taylen and tapped her knee. The skin around her shackles were red and scabbed.

Her eyes opened, wide and frightful but when she saw it was just me, her lip curled in a way she reserved for sour bread or burnt fish. "What are you doing here?"

I shushed her and brought a finger to my lips. I crouched in front of her and reached into the bosom of my dress, pulling the key out that I had stashed there. "Nightfall," I whispered to her. "Be ready."

I placed the key into the palm of Taylen's hand but she only looked at it suspiciously. I had the sudden urge to strangle her but that wouldn't help anything. I stood back up and without looking back, ducked back under the tent flap.

Taking my spot at the edge of the fire, I fiddled with the chain between my fingers and waited for the bottles of ale to dwindle until there was none left and the men retreated back to their tents. The leader grunted in my direction, stumbling on his feet as he entered his tent. When I came in, the brazier was already lit and he had fallen onto his bedroll face first. I stood by the opening of the tent. He hadn't even bothered to chain me back to the pole. Maybe my luck was starting to turn.

"Here." He slurred, waving a hand toward him without lifting his head.

My stomach dropped to my toes. Taking a deep breath in, I steeled myself and walked slowly towards the bedroll. The leader's face was still buried in his blanket and he didn't see me grab the hot metal of the brazier. I bit into my bottom lip to stifle the pain as it seared my palms. With a great heave, I pushed it over.

It took a full three seconds before he realized what happened, but it was long enough for the corner of the blanket to have caught fire from the embers. It spread quickly and the man sprung to his feet, but there was already a line of fire that separated either side of the tent. I lifted my chin at him in a silent challenge and the thunderous look on his face almost quelled my rebellious spirit. Almost.

I darted out of the opening of the tent but it didn't take long before I heard cursing and then footsteps chasing behind me. He shouted something, not bothering to smother the fire that was engulfing his tent, and then it sounded like a whole army was thundering after me.

I raced into the trees as quickly as my bare feet would allow, sticks and rocks breaking the skin on the sole. I had no idea where I was or how close the nearest town was, but I ran for my life and hoped that the girls were too. I ran for the thickest part of the woods where the trees were so close together, barely able to squeeze through between them.

I dared a glance over my shoulder, but all I could see was the dark forest. I didn't know how long it would take for them to catch up and I didn't intend to find out. They might know these woods better than me, but I was smaller and faster.