CH 30

"What is the meaning of this, Commander East?" The King of Rezantri rose from his throne, his deep voice echoing off the walls. It sounded like it came from everywhere at once. Perhaps that was how the room was designed.

King Tano had ink black hair that shined under the red glow of the ceiling and a pointed goatee to match. Atop his head was a crown, woven of black metal and inlaid with sparkling red rubies. He wore a coat similar to that the commander had worn but instead his was dyed black. It seemed Rezantri spared no expense to stay on theme.

Commander East -now that I knew his name, though Polished Buttons suited him better- sunk into a deep bow, kicking his heel out behind him.

"I have apprehended a spy in the military camp near Kanver, Your Majesty." The commander stepped to the side and now there was nothing blocking me from the king.

"A spy?" The king drawled, his charcoal eyes studying me. "How interesting."

He stepped down from his raised dais, his heeled boots clicking on the marble floor until he stopped just before me. He wasn't much taller than I was even with the added height from his shoes. I heard a scuffle behind me followed by a thud and a muffled grunt. I imagined it was Rylan trying to come to my aid, but I didn't dare look. I had no idea the game the king played and I wasn't going to get caught cheating.

"Your name?"

I glared at him, gritting my teeth and forcing the words past my lips. "Noreena Phillips."

"Phillips? Why does that sound familiar?" The king took a small step back, stroking his goatee.

"Her father is a general for Verdana." Commander East piped up, leaning forward towards the king. "Your Majesty."

"Edward Phillips is your father?" King Tano's face lit up when he made the connection. I gave him the smallest of nods. "Interesting indeed."

"And what of young Fields?" The king's eyes locked on something behind me.

"He was caught helping the spy escape." Commander East answered, though he sounded less sure of himself this time. Over his shoulder, I saw one of the seated men shift in his chair.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I would recognize those hazel eyes anywhere except the one staring at me were cold and calculating with fine lines worn around the edges. Of course. Rylan's father was on the council and by the looks of it, he was not pleased to see his son.

King Tano glanced over his shoulder at Rylan's father with raised eyebrows. Rylan's father lifted his shoulder in response, a frown twisting his features. My eyes darted frantically between them and Rylan, who had somehow managed to stay calm.

"Take him to the dungeons."

Rylan's father didn't even watch as his son was led away but I couldn't see straight as the world tilted before my eyes, panic choking my breath.

"Wait." The ground shifted beneath my feet and my body lurched forward of its own accord towards the king. I barely moved an inch before a hand jerked me back. "He's innocent. He didn't know."

King Tano paused mid-stride, one foot hovering above the step to his throne. The slight turn of his head was the only indication that he was listening. Even though my next words cleaved my chest in two, I spoke them. "I tricked him. Lied to him. Gained his trust. But he didn't know."

Slowly the king turned, barely glancing in my direction when he said, "Very well."

King Tano nodded to the guards that held each of Rylan's arms. They brought him forward, pushing him to his knees in front of the king. Rylan stared at me and I could tell he was searching for the truth in my face, but I wouldn't look at him -couldn't- otherwise I would break. So I didn't look at him. I schooled my expression into something cold and unfeeling, imagining anything other than what was happening in this throne room. I knew it worked when he looked away.

"Since your judgment has been compromised, Rylan Fields, you will be stripped of your rank. You will remain here in Vinburgh until the council is sure of your loyalty. You are dismissed."

I saw the way Rylan's shoulders drooped, the way his head hung low, the way he mumbled a quiet, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

My heart splintered from the defeat in his voice. Rylan, who was always so confident and sure of himself, had been broken down. The stinging began behind my eyes but I forced the tears back just as Rylan stood.

His shackles were taken off but the guards remained by his side. Rylan bowed, though his bow was much more shallow than Commander East's had been. When he turned and walked out of the throne room with the guards following in behind him, I didn't have the guts to look at him, staring at an unremarkable spot on the wall. But even out of the corner of my eye, I saw the look of hurt that flashed across his face.

"Now what to do with you, Miss Phillips?"

_____

The dungeons in Mortham Keep were not what I was expecting. They were not underground. They were not dank and musty with rats crawling along the ground. This was luxury compared to that.

I was led up a winding spiral staircase until my legs ached and my lungs burned. With every narrow window that passed, the more my spirit dwindled. I had gotten myself into a mess that I wasn't certain I could get myself out of.

Higher and higher, I was forced to climb and just when I thought my legs were about to give out, we reached the top. I tried taking deep breaths to calm my heart that was pounding in my chest as the singular door was unlocked and pushed open.

The room beyond was small and circular with a thick layer of dust over the stone floor and a four poster bed that hadn't been slept in in years perhaps. There was even a small dresser pushed in one corner which was empty when I pulled open the drawers. It reminded me of home when we first moved to Dast before it was cleaned up. My stomach twisted into knots at the thought of home.

The door was shut behind me, the click from the lock echoing off of the bare walls. I crossed the room, which only took five steps, to the slit-like window. There wasn't a glass pane, just a large opening that was the size and width of a person. I dared to stick my head through it but from this high up, I could just make out the rooftops of the building below and from here, they looked like miniature replicas. I could only stand it for a few seconds before the brisk wind made me dizzy, and with no barrier to prevent me from plummeting to my death, I stepped away from the window, keeping a safe distance.

I took to pacing instead, wearing a path into the dusty floor. The drawers to the dressers wouldn't come out and it must've been bolted into the wall because it wouldn't budge when I tried to move it. I'm not sure what I would've done even if it could move. Shove it out the window perhaps.

I looked toward the bed, even the neatly made sheet had a layer of dust covering it. I ripped the sheet from the bed, sending a cloud of dust into the air and into my lungs. It sent me into a coughing fit as I tried to shake the rest of the dust from the sheet but a thin film of grime remained. I tossed it to the side. At least the bed underneath the sheet had been preserved and when I sat down on it, there wasn't another dust attack so I assumed it was safe.

I wrapped my arms around my torso, which I could do now since the shackles had been taken off, and pulled my knees to my chest. The bed wasn't comfortable, just a thin mattress resting on top of the bed frame, but it was better than the cold floor. I scooted until my back rested against the wall.

At least Rylan was safe, even if he did hate me now. He could still live a fine life in Vinburgh even without his captain status. Maybe he could buy his ship now. The thought made a small smile tug at my lips despite the tears that streaked down my face.