CH 19

7 years ago

Edward Phillips stood at the window, staring into the depths of the panes as if they held an important message. His study was bare, most of his things wouldn't arrive from the capital until the next day. The only furnishings were the leather armchair he spent his days in and a large mahogany desk that had been left by the previous owner, now pushed up against one wall.

He would mutter to himself or sometimes hum a soft melody as he nursed the drink in his hand, that he kept well stocked, unaware of the listening ears pressed against the closed door that led to the rest of the house.

It was the only time that I could hear his voice. He had been acting this way ever since he had declared we were moving only a week ago. It had taken some adjusting. Our old home was small, cramped between buildings in the sprawling capital of Bellevue. It had been only a single room, but it had never felt small.

Now, a full day away from Verdana, we have taken residence in a vast manor that had more rooms that I can imagine we needed. Already, a few servants had been hired to maintain the property but they were doing slow work. It was the largest house in Dast, having previously been owned by a Lord before he had died. It had stood empty, waiting for its next owners with cobwebs in the corners.

"Nori, what are you doing up here?" A hushed voice came from down the hall. Uncle Davin stepped around the corner, eyeing the closed door with disdain. The humming inside the study stopped.

"Nothing." I tiptoed away from the door. I had already memorized which creaky floorboards to avoid. Davin steered me back downstairs with a hand on my shoulder. Just as we turned the corner, I thought I heard the sound of a door opening.

"You shouldn't disturb him."

"I wasn't." I bowed my head, chin nearly touching my chest. "I was just listening."

Davin looked at me with sadness in his eyes and a sympathetic smile on his face. "Come with me."

We passed old portraits and stained rugs as we headed towards the grand staircase that led to the foyer. It was like stepping into a different house entirely. It was brighter downstairs from the light that shone through the windows in brilliant beams, the moth-eaten curtains discarded in a pile. The ceilings were free from cobwebs and the wood paneling sparkled from the soapy water buckets the servants carried with them. They dusted, swept, cleaned but not one of them dared to venture to the upper level.

Davin led me out the front door and around the back of the house where an archery target had been set up against the stone wall that surrounded the estate. He picked up a bow and held it out to me. It was made of pale wood and was almost as tall as I was. "Here."

"What am I supposed to do with it?"

"I want you to use it."

I stared slack-jawed at Daven. Despite the buzz of excitement that caused my fingers to twitch, I cast a glance around, but it was just the two of us. Surely, he must be kidding.

"No, I can't." I clasped my hand together in front of me in a lady-like fashion.

"It'll take your mind off of... everything."

I looked from the bow in my uncle's hand to the target to the house that didn't feel like home. I thought about home and the memories I was forced to leave behind when we moved, the gaping hole that had ripped open in my chest only a mere week ago that felt like it was getting bigger and bigger until it threatened to tear me in half. Swiping my sleeve across my watery eyes, I grabbed the too-large bow from Davin.

_____

The sound of a hushed argument woke me from my sleep and I forced my tired body from bed. My shoulders ached and my fingers were sore from practicing archery with Davin and I wanted nothing more than to fall back asleep under the warm covers of bed.