CH 14

Armed with a copy of Faine "The Fearless", Rylan had hidden his journal somewhere else -not that I would've risked snooping through it again- I paced in Rylan's bedroom. I could breathe a little easier without him here, but I couldn't deny the ache in my chest when I thought about the empty cot in the other room. It was just as he left it, neat with his blanket folded at the foot of the bed. I felt guilty for taking his own bed for so long.

After Rylan left, Anders walked me back and I sat idle for hours, staring at the walls, the furniture, even the ceiling when I was bored enough. I flicked through the books on Rylan's shelves but every time I pulled one off the shelf, I could feel the walls closing in around me. Desperate for some fresh air and sunlight, more than what little shone through the one window in the room, I picked out a familiar book and strode through the cabin.

Just as I had stepped through the door, I bumped into the back of someone standing outside. I yelped in surprise, and the book fumbled from my hands. Then I realized who it was when Anders turned around, eyeing the book on the ground.

"Please don't tell me he has you standing out here all day." I bent down to pick my book off, brushing the dust off the cover.

"Captain's orders, my lady."

"Don't you have anything better to do?" I looked around Anders, hoping there would be some other reason he would be standing just outside the door. I saw his eyes flicker somewhere in the distance, past my shoulder and I didn't doubt the answer to my question was a 'yes'.

"Let's go then." I brushed past him, but when I didn't hear his footsteps behind me, I spun back around with my hands propped on my hips. "Come on, you can guard me just as well anywhere else. Besides, I'm about to go crazy sitting in there and it hasn't even been an entire day yet."

It didn't take long before Anders caved, falling in step beside me. Well, in front of me. One of his steps was almost double mine and I had to hasten my pace to keep up with him. "My legs were getting tired."

"I won't tell anyone if you sit down." I placed my hand over my heart in a mock-salute. "So where to?"

"I'm supposed to be training the new recruits."

I knew the path to the training grounds well, having memorized most of the layout of the camp already, even though I had only been there once, but this time I was prepared to act the part of a naïve farm girl. I wouldn't be utterly transfixed by the archery range and I absolutely wouldn't hold a bow this time.

"What do you train them in?"

"The usual. Combat, weapons, archery. Until they find what they're best at."

That surprised me. I had always thought roles were assigned upon enlistment but here they were given a choice. "What are you best at?"

"I prefer a battle axe. They require a great deal of strength to wield."

I tried to imagine Anders holding a battle axe. It would be one just about as tall as he is and would take two hands just to hold properly. I shuddered at the thought of seeing him on the battlefield. "What about Rylan?"

Anders gave me a knowing grin that caused me to tuck my chin as my face flushed. "He's the best swordsman in the camp."

Now that I could believe. Rylan had a slim form, nimble enough to evade close attacks. I pictured him with a sword and thought I wouldn't want to see that during battle either.

We arrived at the open area of the training grounds where a group of about fifty men waited. They were young and barely of age and it was clear that they didn't want to be here. Some lounging in the grass and others looking at anything but the soldier at the front barking orders at them.