CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO
HIRAETH

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

After her official induction to the Royal Court, the ceremony resumed with its customary grandeur as Bowser concluded his speech, the air filled with anticipation for the festivities. The vibrant atmosphere was a tapestry of live music that beckoned people to sway and dance to their rhythm. The aroma of delectable delicacies wafted through the air, enticing guests to indulge in a feast fit for royalty. The event was a sensory overload, with games and activities designed to entertain and captivate attendees. And, of course, there were presents, an array of beautifully wrapped gifts scattered throughout the venue, waiting to be unwrapped with excitement and anticipation.

[name] always found herself a bit reserved amidst the lively revelry. Her innate shyness prevented her from fully immersing herself in the festivities that often required socializing with the other attendees. Nevertheless, she found joy in observing the celebration from a comfortable distance.

Seated at a small table with Kamek, [name] savored a delectable slice of her birthday cake. Bowser, the epitome of the party spirit, initiated a spontaneous mosh pit and commanded his minions to hoist him up as he surfed through the jubilant crowd. The sight was both amusing and impressive, earning a quiet snicker from the pair. Kamek, with crumbs falling out of his mouth, curiously inquired, "So, how does it feel to officially be Princess of the Dark Lands?" [name] cringed playfully and scolded him, "Ew, Uncle Kamek, don't talk with food in your mouth," before letting out an exaggerated sigh. "I'll be honest, I feel a bit worried. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have such an honor bestowed upon me... I'm just concerned that I won't be able to live up to everyone's expectations."

Understanding her apprehension, Kamek nodded empathetically, quickly swallowing the remnants of his cake. "It's normal to feel nervous," he reassured her sincerely. "Just know that your father and I will be there for you every step of the way." His words carried a genuine warmth, providing [name] with the much-needed reassurance she had been seeking. Kamek then rose from the table, a mischievous smile adorning his face. "I'm going to grab another slice. Do you want anything?" [name] chuckled softly and shook her head, replying, "I'm alright, thank you, though." She watched with bated breath as he gradually disappeared into the sea of faces, her heart racing. A surge of unease engulfed her as she found herself now sitting all alone. Her eyes darted around the room, desperate for a distraction from the overwhelming pressure that seemed to constrict her chest.

The corner where the presents were displayed beckoned to her as a welcome refuge. Its vibrant assortment of colors, intricate patterns, and various box shapes offered a visual feast, captivating her senses. With each passing moment, her awareness heightened, honing in on the myriad details of her immediate surroundings. The delicate fabric of her dress prickled against her skin, the touch of her silk gloves brought a soothing smoothness, her heels mercilessly tormented her feet, and the weight of her new crown seemed to bear down heavily upon her brow. A symphony of voices, music, and laughter reverberated throughout the grand ballroom. The enticing aroma of savory barbeque and crackling firewood overpowered her nostrils, and the taste of the birthday cake she had consumed earlier still lingered on her tongue.

Her eyes widened in sudden realization that she was subconsciously using her coping mechanism to instinctively counter the imminent threat of a panic attack. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, she abruptly rose from the table and rushed out of the ballroom in search of a quiet place to regain her composure. Her mind turned blank as her body entered autopilot, guiding her through the labyrinthine halls without succumbing to the sensory overload. And just like that, as she regained her senses, she found herself standing in the foyer. Clutching her chest tightly, she anchored herself in the present moment, her grip serving as a grounding force as she consciously regulated her breath, inhaling deeply, exhaling slowly.