CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
HIRAETH

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

꒰ a/n ꒱
i figured i should directly address this because i haven't already, but Captain is nonverbal! that's why he can only communicate by writing stuff down or by making noises. when im writing his interactions, i imagine him "talking" like an animal crossing character! hehehe

ALSO i want to say thank you for 100+ views!!!!
im so happy that you're enjoying the story so far! i promise the luigi + reader interactions will start happening soon, i just gotta build up to it cause this is a slow burn, you know? once again, thank you for all the love and support you've shown this book, happy reading!

- stweey ♡

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

[name] let out a small groan as she struggled to sit up, feeling disoriented from the crash. The bright red hot air balloon had been punctured and deflated, its fabric draping over the side of the colossal mushroom they landed on. Her head throbbed mercilessly, and her vision was hazy, but she managed to make out the silhouette of her cloaked companion a few feet away. Acting swiftly, Captain hurried to [name]'s side, tapping her shoulder frantically while emitting a series of panicked noises.

"Captain...please...I'm alright," she spoke softly, attempting to calm him down. "I just took a hard hit during the landing. I probably shouldn't have been leaning over the rail while we fell." She chuckled weakly, acknowledging her mistake. Captain helped the Princess to stand on her feet, and she took a moment to survey their surroundings. She stood in awe, barely able to catch her breath, murmuring, "Captain...where are we?" Retrieving his notebook, Captain quickly scribbled down their location before presenting it to [name]: "Mushroom Kingdom."

In the distance, a massive, perfectly rounded hill dominated the horizon. Surrounding the mountain, mushroom-shaped buildings and colorful pipes dotted the landscape, their unique architecture complimenting the land's natural beauty. Atop the hill stood an imposing, white castle, its grandeur commanding respect and admiration.

Her heart raced with excitement, the astonishing sight unveiling a truth that had been kept from her until now, "I had no idea that there were other kingdoms," [name] whispered, their voice filled with genuine astonishment. The revelation stirred a mix of emotions within her, a blend of curiosity, intrigue, and a deep longing to explore these uncharted lands.

However, her moment of fascination was interrupted as a sharp surge of pain, her temples throbbing with increased intensity. Gritting her teeth, she instinctively clutched the side of her head, letting out a small grunt. "I think I hit my head pretty hard." She winced, her face contorted in pain. "Do you think I could get some medical assistance in the Mushroom Kingdom?" Captain hummed thoughtfully, extending his hand to her, offering his support.

The pair ventured deep into the dense forest, their footsteps muffled by a carpet of soft moss. As they made their way through the towering trees, [name]'s mind buzzed with curiosity, wondering about the fantastical creatures that inhabited this realm, and whether there were any humans among them. However, a vivid memory resurfaced from the depths of her consciousness, a conversation with her father long ago, warning her about the deep-rooted prejudice humans held against the residents of the Dark Lands.

Glancing down at Captain, [Name]'s expression grew stern, "We must conceal our true identities," [name] whispered firmly. "No one can know that we are from the Dark Lands." Swiftly, she pulled up the hood of her weathered brown cloak, shrouding the upper half of her face in shadows. The gesture provided a semblance of anonymity, and added an air of mystery to her presence.