Return

The next morning came and it found her preparing in a hurry. She didn't know what Sasuke had in mind exactly, but whatever it was, she was sure he wouldn't ask nicely. If he would even ask.
She walked to the room where the breakfast was served, almost too quickly. When she entered, she saw three people staring at her. She coughed, her throat wasn't dry, it was a reflex to shake away the nervousness of the looming atmosphere.
Sasuke rarely joined them. But he was here nevertheless, touching his food just barely. Their eyes crossed for a moment, but then he averted his gaze and she took her sit beside him.
She believed, she was late, that he had already announced whatever he had in mind. Noone spoke, noone ate. She drank from a cup that was placed in front of her and waited to figure out of how to proceed.
"So.." Kakashi was the one that dispersed the silence. "I think it's the first time in days we are all sitting in a room together." He drank from his cup too. "It's a...nice change."
She looked at the man next to him. He was seemingly unfaced. Yet if she could guess, he was anxious.
"Don't get too excited." Sasuke answered. "I am not here for your company."
She turned at him.
"Now that we are all here, I will tell you what it needs to be done."
He didn't look at her way, only in his front. Hinata realised that he hadn't spoken still, that he was waiting for her arrival.
"What needs to be done." Kakashi repeated his statement. "And what is that exactly?" He left his cup on the table.
"Don't mock me." Sasuke responded. "You are irrelevant to what I have to say."
He was ready to speak, but Itachi was faster.
"I suppose it involves me." He said evenly, calmly.
They stared each other for a moment.
"I think you realise, you both do." Sasuke started. "That staying here longer than we what already have is meaningless. Even dangerous."
He had their attention.
"If your informations and your guesses are right, as we are staying still, Hiashi Hyuga moves forward with his plan."
He was calmer, Hinata thought. He was thinking straight, he was more of the man that followed a strict schedule, that took actions instead of talking. He was like they had already returned back.
"We are going back. Father needs to be warned, persuade somehow. He needs to be ready if an attack is to strike us." He took a breath. She knew what was to come, he had told her last night.
"But we aren't going back alone. You are coming with us." He said and looked his brother in the eyes. Itachi Uchiha remained frozen at his place. Sasuke seemed almost satisfied.
A laugh was heard.
"You are joking right? That is your great plan?" Kakashi said and when the words left his mouth, he wasn't laughing anymore.
"This will not happen." He said seriously.
Yet Sasuke spoke to Itachi and him alone.
"You understand better than anyone here that he will not listen to me. Especially if I go back alone. If I had left you slide away. If I have failed."
"He is not going back in there." Kakashi said.
Sasuke turned his gaze at him for a moment.
"You are not the one to decide that." And then again to the only person that interested him.
"I will bring you back as a prisoner." He said. "At least in front of father. Then you will have your chance to talk to him. Tell him about all this. Make him cave. We both know you have the ability to do so. You always did."
"Do you seriously think that I will let the man I love be dragged into that horrible place as a prisoner?" Kakashi lost his composure. Because not even once, he had spoke about them, about him in that way in front of Sasuke. He had been careful until now.
She feared of what to come when Sasuke crossed his arms. She feared of what he would respond in that statement. Of the insults that would be heard, of the face he would make when he said them.
"We are all gambling here." He raised his gaze to the man. "Did you think that you would be excused of that risk?"
"And what risk are you taking exactly? Because it seems to me that you just want to win it all with one move."
"You are not as observant as you seem then." Sasuke answered. "If this fails, I will be branded as a traitor too, I will lose my status, my family, my home."
"Unless you are going to betray us anyway." Kakashi regained his composure.
"And side with Hiashi Hyuga instead?" Sasuke responded. "To be what? A clan dedicated to be their slaves?" He added quickly.
"Listen to me..."
"I wouldn't side with him, even as an equal."
The seriousness of his statement had taken the silver man aback.
"It's pointless to argue." He turned his gaze to his brother who had yet to utter a word. "It's your decision. Choose wisely this time."
He got up. He wasn't going to wait for a response. Only then he looked at her again.
She thought of staying, but then again there was bound to be a conversation, not meant for her to be present.
Then again, she thought that Sasuke wanted her when he left.