Chapter 4

Daphne Greengrass was known as the "Ice Queen of Slytherin" for a reason. Apart from her stunning beauty, she was known to give a cold shoulder to anyone who tried to get close to her. She was also known to brutally retaliate against those who tried to take advantage of her. She never really let anyone in, except for her childhood friend Tracey Davis.

This all changed two years ago when she met one Harry Potter after sneaking out late at night to take a stroll around the lake. As she walked, she faintly heard a voice talk to themselves. Curious, she quickly hid behind a rock and started eavesdropping on the mysterious nighttime wanderer.

"—can't stop thinking about them. You know... when I came into Hogwarts I thought I could be normal... I thought I could get away from remembering my Aunt and Uncle for at least a little while. But the way people are treating me now is just so bloody horrible. I don't want to lie to you Hedwig, I feel lonelier now than I've ever felt before. Ron and Hermione seem scared of me. At least they don't avoid talking to me like everyone else."

As Daphne heard the boys rant, she crept forward slowly to see who he was and who he was talking to. She saw a boy, around her age, sitting on the ground, facing the lake. The Hedwig in question was a beautiful white owl that was perched on his shoulder, leaning on the boys head as she offered him silent support.

"I think..." he continued after a pause. "Its harder now than it was then, because now I have friends, you know? Back then I didn't know what it was like to have someone care about you or to have someone to care about. I was given something just to have it ripped away. Reminds me of something Vernon used to—"

The boys speech was interrupted by a twig that had snapped under Daphne's foot. She inwardly cursed at her unusual clumsiness. Not thinking, she quickly stood up and backed away.

The boy had his wand out and was pointing it at her. "Why were you spying on me?" he asked, a hint of panic in his voice.

"I wasn't" she managed to stammer out. She had been struck dumb for the first time in her tenure at Hogwarts. Those eyes. Those damn green eyes had pinned her to the spot. They seemed to gaze into her, instead of at her.

"What are you doing out here, then?" He asked, wand still pointed at her, a steely glint in his eye.

Daphne, at this moment, could see no way out of this. She resorted to the only option she had at the moment. Telling the truth. "I... I had a nightmare. I couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to take a walk," she admitted. Shame engulfed her as a blush crept up her cheeks.

She saw something change in his eyes. Instead of the dark, haunted look they previously had, she only saw empathy in those green whirlpools. He understood. He knew what that was like.

He lowered his wand, put it in his pocket and looked away, embarrassed. Daphne found herself not wanting to break eye contact with the boy. She didn't know what she was feeling, but she liked it.

"I'm sorry about that," he said "can't be too careful when everyone thinks you're the heir of Slytherin". He went back to his spot and sat down.

Daphne awkwardly stepped forward and sat down next to him. She had heard of the Gryffindor Golden Boy, but hadn't given him much thought. In her mind, it was simple: he hadn't bothered her, so she hadn't bothered him. She began to regret this.

"Why are you out here?" She asked, staring out at the lake.

"Same as you... Nightmare. Couldn't sleep". He pointed to his owl, "Hedwig decided to keep me company. She usually does when I get like this." He turned to her, "How much did you hear?".

She blushed even harder now, but answered truthfully "A lot... I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have—"

"Don't apologize. I'm sorry you had to hear all of that." a look of shame passed through his face. It was gone a moment later. "Whats your name?"