Chapter 6 : Sky Pinwheels

As Bamburai and Bamberly went down the mysterious stairs, they noticed the blue brick walls slowly shifting into....a clear blue sky? It was like they were floating in place... in fact...the metallic stairs were slowly turning into grass. The stairs then started blending into the terrain, and eventually the couple was in what could be described as a grassy field full of hills.

The sky was a bright, vibrant blue with the occasional clouds, and the grass was a dainty green; the dirt path was obviously undisturbed for years, rocks arranged in small formations.

In the far distance, wind turbines could be seen; spinning eternally, not a bother in sight. Their rotation was almost hypnotic; It felt like watching a real, living being just do their own thing. Living. It was strange. It felt like stumbling into a bunker with actual survivors in it.

Bamburai was deep in thought about it. Seeing something survive the Ultimate Weapon was something already, but something that wasn't just old vending machines and such operating with ease... it really made him think. It was surreal. He never thought that anything would survive the blast. It would've rendered everything next to defunct and deceased.

He was stranded in his thoughts 'till...

"Bamburai, look!" Bamberly patted him on the back and pointed at the wind turbines. "Sky pinwheels!"

Bamburai snapped out of his trance to look at the turbines with Bamberly.

"They're pretty..." he mumbled. "They're...still operating even after everything."

"Mhm...it's like the Ultimate Weapon didn't even touch them. It's strange, but..."

"They persevered. Even with the impact...they're still functional."

They sat down and watched the wind turbines, the blue sky and the small yet polygonal sun making them sparkle a little in the light. Sometimes, the sky's clouds would get stuck on them, but they simply dusted them away with their eternal spinning. It was perfect. This landscape felt almost...alive compared to every place Bamburai and Bamberly had been to.

The couple decided to set up camp right in this area. They put up their tent and got out some snacks they got from the blue exhibition's town, and kept on watching the wind turbines do their job as they chowed down.

Eventually, nightfall came; the night sky was a gradient of neon blue and dark blue, dotted with abstract constellations and a crescent moon shining its light onto the field, making the landscapes and wind turbines glow in the night.

Bamburai and Bamberly decided to spend the night stargazing together, watching all of the constellations drift in the blue night sky. It was truly perfect. They had never felt so alive before...

"Hey, that one kinda looks like a lightning bolt!"

"Heh...kinda looks like the logo of the cinema me, you and Banjex used to go to."

"You're right..."

Bamberly's voice became a little more somber.

"I miss Banjex."

"Me too, Berly...me too. It's always been a bit off without him. Without all his banter and such."

"Mhm...but at least we've got each other, right?"

"Yeah. And that's all i could ask for."

A brief, somber yet romantic silence filled the air.

"You're really sweet, you know that?"

"You're sweet too."

Bamburai laid his hand on Bamberly's, holding it gently. They both smiled softly at each other.

"Last one to doze off leads the expedition!"

"Heh. You're funny, i like that."

They laid in the vivid greenery of the grassy fields, still looking up at the constellation-studded night sky. Seems like Bamburai was dozing off already. Bamberly watched as his eyes closed and he fell asleep right then and there.

"Looks like i'm the leader for tomorrow, hehe!" Bamberly giggled to herself, before eventually falling asleep herself.