Breathless

Morana's POV

When Aeron left I felt like the last little bit of air I had in my lungs escaped, I hoped he would be okay. And for the first time- the first time in my whole life I walked towards our bed and slowly lowered myself to the floor. My hands shook as I pressed my open hands together, and bowed my head as I prayed. I prayed for my Mate's safety, and I prayed for the girls they had also done this to. And I prayed tonight will be the end of that horrible shed. Tears slowly started to fall as I pushed my closed hands closer to my head as I felt a warmth in my heart. He will ruin this nightmare. He will make sure it is gone for good. Pride and admiration filled my chest as I thought of my mate. He will never understand how much this would mean to me.

Hours later I was laying in bed waiting for Aeron to come home. I had his laptop on my lap and pressed the keys into a search engine. Checking to see if the random letters I believed to be words, were words. I had the sheets over my hips and had undressed down to just my underwear and a tank top. I sounded out words as I looked at the colorful screen. I wanted to distract myself. I didn't want to feel the worry I felt when he left. But, I was worried, I was so worried.

Aeron is the Alpha, but there were a lot of wolves. With a sigh I touched my stomach and got out of the bed. I walked down the stairs to the kitchen where I made a bowl of grapes. I washed off the fruit and then brought them back upstairs. With a sigh I laid back on the bed and lifted my shirt. I touched my stomach and frowned, "Will you make it little one?" I whispered, "Prove them all wrong?" I asked.

Closing my eyes I wondered if I should continue this pregnancy? Would it be cruel to birth a child only for it to die in a few days? Would they be in pain? Would their short lifespan be filled with pain, because of me? I didn't want that, I didn't. Tears filled my eyes as I looked back down to my stomach. I thought of the peanut I had seen on the screen today and my heart fluttered. Ontas whined as we calmed ourselves and pushed the tears away. "Morana." My heart quickly started to race when I heard Aeron's voice.

"Aeron, are you okay? It's been over an hour!" I held my breath to hear his response.

"I'm fine. But, I'll be a little late."

"Why?" Looking around the empty bedroom I quickly pushed the blankets off of my body and jumped out of the bed.

"We found some females, I have to take them to the pack's-"

"I'm coming."

A sense of pride filled the bound as I pulled on a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans. I didn't care if he objected, I was going. I pushed my feet in the shoes ignoring socks as I rushed out of the room. I tied the flannel at the bottom as I grabbed a tie and pulled my hair up on my head, and without thinking twice I raced down the stairs. I jumped down at the end of the stairs and rushed towards the door.

My mate was okay, he was safe. He was okay. He was okay. He's safe. I reached for the door and threw the door open. I stopped and looked at the darkness in front of me.

I've been out of this house before, I've been to the pack's house. Some of the wolves have talked to me, but not many. And, I wasn't introduced as their Luna yet, but I took a deep breath as I nodded. Ontas was with me, I could even feel her push me forward. I closed the door and walked to the end of the porch. As soon as my feet touched the wet ground I was running. My heart raced as my lung burned with each breath I took. I tried to remember the way to the hospital. Members of the pack looked up to me with wide eyes as I raced across the land. My feet burned with each step I took.

Shit, how far away is this? I quietly complained. I wanted to run in my mates arms, but I was about to run on the ground. I gasped as I grabbed my chest, Fuck! Maybe instead of sitting on the couch I should get up and walk around once in a while. Small black and white spots filled my vision as I slowed my pace for a moment. I gasped the air as if I was coming up from the water. And as I looked up I could see the blinding lights around the white building far away. Fuck this, Aeron can walk to me. I said, then shook my head. Those who have watched me now stood motionless as they continued to watch me. I stood up as if I wasn't I wasn't dying and walked up a small hill.