Chapter Fourteen

"That slimy, emasculated spider," Annabeth muttered angrily, slamming her stuff down on a table near the back. "That child-bullying, eight legged, cowardly—"

    "Hey," Freddie said, placing a hand on Annabeth's elbow, though even she couldn't hide her glare. "Cursing Snape out isn't going to help."

    "You're right. I should stab him." Annabeth lifted the sleeve of her robes to reveal the hilt of the dagger strapped to her arm.

    "Woah!" Freddie exclaimed, eyes going wide as she pulled Annabeth's sleeve down. "Where did you get that?!"

    "Give me that, knife, Annabeth," Vera growled, squeezing her quill so hard it started to creak in protest.

    "Dagger," Annabeth corrected.

     "I mean, she's a Gryffindor," Vera continued, "but still. What the actual fuck? And how dare Malfoy use that word!?"

    Looking around the room, Annabeth saw that they weren't the only angry ones. In fact, most of the girls in the room were wearing murderous looks, and even a few of the boys were glaring at Snape as he shut the door.

    "Antidotes!" Snape announced unpleasantly. "You should all have prepared your recipes now. I want you to brew them carefully, and then, we will be selecting someone on whom to test one..."

    "That can't be allowed." Freddie frowned. "How the hell is he still a teacher?"

    A knock on the door sounded before either Annabeth or Vera could reply. The door opened and a Griffindor boy walked in, maybe twelve or thirteen years old. He walked in with a huge grin on his face and went over to Snape's desk.

    "Yes?" Snape said shortly.

    "Please, sir," the boy said, "I'm supposed to take Harry Potter and Annabeth Chase upstairs."

    "Potter and Chase have another hour of Potions to complete," Snape said coldly. "They will come upstairs when this class is finished."

    "Sir— sir, Mr. Bagman wants them. All the champions have got to go, I think they want to take photographs."

    "Very well, very well," Snape snapped. "Potter, Chase, leave your things here, I want you both back here later to test your antidotes."

    "Please, sir— they've got to take their things with them. All the champions—"

    "Very well! Potter— Chase— take your bags and get out of my sight!"

    "Good luck," Freddie whispered as Annabeth shoved her things into her bag and swung the straps over her shoulders. She stood up and made her way to the door where the boy was waiting, followed by Harry.

    "Isn't it amazing, Harry?" the boy said immediately after the door closed and they began walking towards the staircase. "Isn't it, though? You being champion? Oh— no offense."

    "None taken," Annabeth muttered.

    "What do they want photos for, Colin?" Harry asked.

    "The daily prophet, I think!"

    "Great," Harry said sullenly. "Exactly what I need. More publicity."

    When they reached the right door, Colin said, "good luck!" excitedly and ran off.

    Harry met Annabeth's eyes for a second before he looked away and knocked lightly on the door, then opened it and walked in.

    Annabeth followed, entering into a small classroom, except that most of the desks were pushed to the side. Three desks, covered in a velvet tablecloth, were lined end to end in front of the blackboard, and four more were behind them, also covered in velvet.