Chapter Seventeen

Annabeth waited in the medical tent while the other three champions faced their dragons. All she could hear was the commentary, which wasn't exactly helpful. After Fleur and Viktor had gone and Harry was facing his dragon, Bagman announced something about Harry flying. Maybe he had summoned a broom.

She continued to listen closely, and she deduced that Harry had summoned a broom, and he had used it to divebomb the nest and grab the golden egg. Annabeth had to admit, it was smart.

When it was all over, Annabeth and the rest of the champions were called back to the tent where they had found out what the first task was.

Everyone else was already there. Fleur's skirt was badly burned, Viktor looked like a huge weight had been lifted off his chest, and Harry's shoulder was bandaged.

"Nice job," Annabeth muttered to Harry.

"And you," Harry replied.

"Well done, all of you!" Bagman yelled, entering the tent and basically bouncing on his feet. "Now, just a few quick words. You've got a nice long break before the second task, which will take place at half past nine on the morning of February the twenty-fourth— but we're giving you something to think about in the meantime! If you look down at those golden eggs you're all holding, you will see that they open... see the hinges there? You need to solve the clue inside the egg— because it will tell you what the second task is, and enable you to prepare for it! All clear? Sure? Well, off you go, then!"

***

The Slytherins partied hard that night. Annabeth was pushed into a silver chair and hoisted up in the common room. So many people patted her back that it started to go numb. Vera and Freddie stuck to her side through it all, warding off the younger Slytherins who tried to crowd Annabeth and scream her praises.

Apparently Annabeth had scored first place in the first task, with Harry and Viktor tied for second and Fleur third. Annabeth was still riding that high, when she had got out of the tent to find almost the entire school cheering for her.

This was actual, solid proof that Annabeth wasn't just a Slytherin. The school had cheered for her, no matter what house she was in. And here was actual, solid proof that Annabeth was good, that she was more than what the students made her out to be.

"Open the egg!" someone yelled.

The room filled with more cheers as the golden egg was passed over everyone's heads and made its way to Annabeth. She grabbed it out of the air and brought it down. Annabeth had been hoping to open it in a more private place where she could mull over her thoughts, but the crowd couldn't be appeased.

Annabeth worked her fingers between the seam and opened the egg.

For a second, she thought someone was dying. The room filled with a huge, ear splitting scream, echoing off the walls and so loud that Annabeth almost dropped the egg in surprise. The Slytherins cried out, which was when Annabeth realized that the sound was coming from inside the egg.

Hurriedly, she shut it. Immediately the sound stopped, leaving a ringing echo in Annabeth's ears.

Vera voiced what they were all thinking. "What the fuck was that?"

"Was that the dragon's roar?" someone asked.

"No, that was way too high pitched," Simone Williams said. "Maybe it's a scream of pain."

Simone didn't seem at all concerned with their statement. A few of the Slytherins backed away from them slowly, but they didn't seem to notice.

"Nah, that wasn't human," Ty said.