Chapter Thirty Four

Annabeth's heart was beating in her throat. Tonight. The third task was tonight.

She was lost in her own head for most of breakfast. There was a new article out by Rita Skeeter; apparently Harry was crazy and deranged. Down the table, Malfoy, Pansy, and their whole group were laughing at the paper. Annabeth didn't bother to read it. She heard enough from Malfoy yelling for the whole hall to see.

Annabeth made sure to load a lot of eggs onto her plate, and she also grabbed one of every fruit and vegetable she could see. She poured herself a goblet full of milk, chugged it, and then poured another. She was going to need all the fuel she could get.

Anticipation told her she wasn't hungry, but Annabeth knew how important it was to eat before a big fight. And it was going to be a big fight.

"Chase."

Annabeth looked up to find Snape staring down his nose at her.

"Yes?"

"You are to meet with the other champions in the chamber off the Hall after breakfast. You will greet your family there." he walked off right after that.

"When he says family," Vera said excitedly, "does he mean your mom? Is there going to be a full blown goddess in our school?!"

Annabeth almost laughed. "Please," she said. "Like Athena would care about this. And I don't know if my father and step-mother would show up."

"Maybe they will," Freddie said.

"Maybe."

The rest of breakfast went by slowly, but Annabeth made sure she ate what she could. She double checked that she had all her books in her bag to read when everyone else was testing, and that she had parchment to take note of what she would need.

When people started getting up and leaving, Annabeth took a deep breath. Was she really expecting her parents to be there? No. She refused to get her hopes up. But she went towards the chamber off the Great hall anyway. Maybe they would be there. Maybe.

The first thing Annabeth saw when she opened the door was Fleur and Viktor and their families. And then there was her family, and all she could see was Percy and Sally and Paul.

Gasping, Annabeth ran into Percy's arms, giving him a quick kiss before squeezing him tightly. Then she hugged Sally, and then Paul.

"Hello, Annabeth," Sally said, grinning, hugging Annabeth again. "We came to watch you!"

"Wow," Paul said, examining the big chamber. "This is like something out of an old book."

"Just wait until you see the rest of it," Annabeth laughed.

"Mom!" Percy gasped, smiling wide. "Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom tell Annabeth what you told me! Tell her!"

Sally laughed and intertwined her hand with Paul's. "I'm pregnant!"

Annabeth's mouth fell open. "What?! That's amazing! Oh my gods!"

She hugged the woman who was more a mother to her than Athena was. If anyone deserved to be a mother again, it was Sally Jackson. She was the sweetest woman Annabeth knew, and if she could raise Percy, she could raise anyone.

"How far along are you?" Annabeth asked.

"Only a few months," Sally said, resting a hand on her stomach. "But we're so excited. Percy's going to be a great big brother."

"Annabeth!"

Annabeth turned and was surprised to find Mrs. Weasley and what looked like one of her sons standing near a wall.