19- she knows

✩✩✩✩•

19. SHE KNOWS

     Christmas break always felt like it was over way too soon. But this time Calypso really did feel like she'd spent about two days at home before she was off back to Hogwarts. It probably didn't help that there was a load of train strikes on the day she headed back.

In fact, she'd skipped dinner and headed straight to bed the moment she entered the magical grounds. Calypso only found out Anita and Amanda had arrived back that same evening when she awoke to find the two of them snoring in their beds.

However, as she awoke that morning she felt that something sure had settled in her heart.

Her chat with Jess had stuck with her, for better or for worse, and she felt this pull inside her gut to stick her neck out and hope for the best. Now, Calypso was by no means rash or an impulsive, jump the gun girl but she had this sense that she was going to have to channel some Anita energy and do it anyway.

The 'it' being Remus Lupin. She was going to find out this big bad secret of his that made him so judgemental of himself and tell him to his face she didn't care and kiss him right then and there.

Well, that was how it played out in her head but Calypso knew herself much better than that to see the whole thing going that way. As long as she figured out the truth and got to tell Remus that she liked liked him, she'd be happy,

And yes, she'd said she'd wait for him to tell her in his own time but Calypso had a tiny nagging feeling that perhaps Remus needed this little push to get over this fear he was holding onto.

And she wanted to know. She wanted to know why he ended up in the hospital wing each month with scratches and bruises littering his skin. Why his eyes held this haunted look and why shadows seemed to cling to him for weeks after. She wanted to know what illness caused such damage.

Maybe it was a curse of some kind? Or some potion accident that had happened when he was young that seemed to cause reoccurring damage. Her mind was driving her crazy with the speculation.

And so Calypso dressed for the day with a determined focus clearing her tired eyes.
She armoured herself with her fluffiest jumper and warmest pair of jeans (and not to forget her special gloves) before heading down to a very early breakfast.

So early even Anita hadn't risen yet. Admittedly it wasn't that early—Anita was just knackered.

Classes started tomorrow, so Calypso was hoping that she'd be able to see Remus before the humdrum of homework and stress started up again.

Thankfully, she knew the kinds of places Remus was likely to be on a chilly Sunday morning—so she headed to the library. She also knew he was back at Hogwarts because he'd mentioned he was travelling back a few days before term started again in his letters.

In fact, Calypso had been pleasantly surprised at how detailed his letters had been over Christmas. She'd learnt a lot about his Christmas traditions and his mum and dad as well as their neighbours cat (whose name was Icarus) who loved Remus more than his own owners. She pictured it as she read his words; an old tabby curled on his lap as he sat. Five blankets would be wrapped about him as he nestled against his mums bench on the front decking. A steaming mug of hotchocolate would sit next to him ontop of a, old but well loved, book of his and snowflakes would be floating in the air.