Chp. 3

I knock gently on Soda's door, waiting for a response. There was no answer, so I knock louder. Still no answer. I push open his bedroom door and gasp, throwing a hand to my mouth. Sodapop's head whips around from on top of his curly blonde haired girlfriend, where they were making out, meeting my stare. He was sitting there in his jeans, with his work shirt on the floor, she was missing her shirt too, it wouldn't have phased me if she hadn't had a ring on her finger. There was only one way a girl could get a ring on that finger in this neighborhood. "Adele, wait," I finally thawed out enough to turn and slam the door shut behind me. I run to my room and close the door. My knees give out and I fall to the floor, sobbing. Soda was only eighteen, and I was only a few months behind him, he couldn't leave us, we still needed him, I still needed him. "Adele, can I come in?" Soda asks from behind the door, wiggling the knob. "NO!" I yell and sob loudly. "Dammit," he muttered, and walked off. "Babydoll, are you ok?" Two-bit asked a while later. I couldn't answer, I was sobbing too hard. He walked in, flipping on the light switch. I flinched back from them, and he turned them off again. "Hey, shh, it's gonna be ok," he said, throwing his arms around me when I turned and sobbed into his shirt. He rocked me slowly, until I was too exhausted to cry anymore, then he scooped me up gently and set me on my bed. "Two-bit?" I asked as he was about to leave. "Yeah baby?" He said turning around at the doorframe. "Will you stay with me?" I asked quietly. He nodded and shrugged off his jacket and shoes. He laid beside me and wrapped one arm around me, murmuring consolingly until we both fell asleep, our foreheads together, and our fingers intertwined between us.