Chapter 8

Jurius

All who were prepared to find their mate stood beneath the full moon, waiting for The Pull. The pull is a powerful feeling that emanates from the full moon once a year. It helps you by guiding you to your soulmate, the one you were destined to be with forever. It is a feeling that gives you a sense that you need to be somewhere—a certain place, I've heard.

My brother was the first to be taken by The Pull. I observed him as he shifted into his wolf, which was almost identical to mine, sprinting off into the forest. The others soon followed.

I found myself becoming anxious. Sometimes a wolf doesn't find their soulmate at the age of 18 or never does, just like my sister Kathara. I glimpsed her peeking through the curtain of her window, looking down at me. Kathara was 24 and still mateless. Within her eyes, which were as green as our father's, I could see that she hoped I didn't fall into the same position as her.

Gladly, I wasn't going to. At last, I was experiencing the pull. It made my body feel overwhelmed by a strong mixture of feelings. Feelings of impatience and restlessness to be somewhere. My body was bursting with excitement and yearning to meet her. I shifted into my wolf, and I ran into the forest, going wherever the Pull took me.

I was later turned off by meeting my soulmate. The dark, curly-haired human I saved in the forest was my soulmate. I watched her, deeply hurt, as she cried while looking up at the full moon.

Her eyes moved toward me, sensing she was not alone. She immediately stopped crying, wiping away her tears. I ran into the forest, dismayed that my soulmate was a human and not a wolf shifter like me.