Chapter 10

Freya

Spotting my first wolf last night, I went to the back of the house, hoping I would somehow see him again. There wasn't any sight of him. Recalling the way he looked at me when I was in my most painful moment, it felt almost human-like. I will never forget his stare. I'm disappointed that it was only for a short while before he ran back off into the forest.

"Freya," I heard Zira calling.

"I'm coming," I said, running around the house.

Grandma Zoey and Zira were on the porch; in their hands, I saw they had their handbags.

"Are you both going somewhere?" I asked as I monitored them.

"The house needs some food supplies, and you might also need some stuff for school next week."

I forgot I had school in two days.

"I have everything I need for school," I told them.

I wasn't the type of girl who liked going out. I loved being locked up in my room and reading wolf-shifter romances while attired in large blouses or any clothes that were oversized and felt cozy.

"Freya, your grand aunt, and I are not going to leave you here all alone by yourself," they both said as they walked from the porch.

"Come," Zira said, wrapping one of her arms around my shoulder and leading me to the car. I had no choice but to go.

I sat at the back of the car and covered my head with the hood of my gray sweater as my grandaunt and grandma got into the car. The car started, and we were on our way to the supermarket. I glanced back at the house, wishing I didn't have to go.

A large sign that displays Forgotten High School 3 minutes away, on the right side of the road, made my belly churn nervously. At my old school, I didn't have any friends. I guess I wasn't someone who promised you any fun. I would sit alone, quietly reading my books. I hated that I was going to attend a new school when I had started to feel comfortable at Castle High.

"This is the knockoff Starbucks shop that every teenager is at here." Grandma slowed down. "It would be good for you to make yourself known to some of the girls there who will be attending the same school as you."

I glanced at the left side of the car at a large building, and immediately I turned my head away, seeing all the young adults who seemed to be my age through a large glass window. They were laughing and chatting. I wasn't that type of person. I doubt they would want to be my friends; they seemed like the popular students who enjoyed bullying people like me, the quiet and unpopular ones.

"Grandma, I'm not interested in a drink or pastries; I just want to go back home," I muttered.

"Okay," my grandma said as she drove past the shop.

The car drove through a parking area and parked.

We got out.

"You're going to get bored following two couples of old ladies while they do their shopping. There's a bookstore that's next to the supermarket, you can buy some new books."

My grandma gave me some cash, and soon we all crossed the road. I went into the bookstore while they went into the supermarket.

It was a small bookstore, and I walked around looking for a new werewolf romance to read. I didn't see any.

"Excuse me, do you have any werewolf romance novels?" I asked a young female, who showed she worked there.

"What!" she laughed. "No," she then replied.

I felt embarrassed and hurriedly left the store, while thoughts flooded my mind of her laughing at me and assuming I was some freak.

Back in school, I didn't know anyone who was obsessed with werewolf romance like I was. I know a number of girls who loved Stephanie Myers movies based on her popular novel Twilight, but that was just it. They were only into the movies and not the books. I prefer the book; my imagination of Jacob was better than the male in the movie. My hands folded, and I waited to cross the road.

"Hey, do you want to go into the woods to take some better pictures?" A Male and a female that looked my age walked past me.

I hid the right side of my face with my hood, shyly.

"No, remember it's the mating season from last night, and Sheriff Hartshorn strictly forbids us from going into the forest until tomorrow," the female retorted.

"Oh, I forgot."

My mind went back to the wolf from last night. I now knew why I had seen him again. It was the mating season.

I stopped myself before I almost crossed the road; there was a blue pickup truck I didn't see coming. As it drove past me, I felt like my breath stopped when I saw who was in the driver's seat. It was he who rescued me when I was lost in the forest. I gazed at the truck until it disappeared.

"Freya," I heard my grandma calling me.

My grandma and Zira were coming from the supermarket already. I rushed to help them with the bags.

"Have you found any books you like?" Zira asked as I placed the groceries in the trunk and locked it.

"No," I replied.

We got in the car to return home. As we did, I realized I never got to thank him for rescuing me. I hoped I would soon, I thought, as I played with my fingers nervously. I wasn't the type of person who had the guts to approach anyone.

"How about hamburgers for dinner?" My grandma eyed me in the rear-view mirror.

I nodded with a smile. Hamburgers and fries with a large strawberry milkshake are my favourites.