Chapter 9

Jurius

The night I couldn't sleep after I'd returned home. How could I, knowing that my mate was a feeble human and not a wolf shifter like me? and that I'll have to kill her?

I wish I had climbed into her bedroom window and ripped off her tiny neck that night, but the disappointment was just too much.

Why does this have to happen to me? Why couldn't I have not found my mate instead? Then I wouldn't be in this complicated situation.

I heard a knock on my door.

"Jurius."

It was my mom.

She was here to check on me, assuming I hadn't found my mate.

"The door is open," I notified her.

I sat up and threw away the football I had in my hand. My mom came to me and sat on the bed.

"Oh, honey," she said as she embraced me.

I returned her hug bitterly, loathing the fact that my soulmate was a frail human.

"Don't be too hard on yourself that you didn't find your soulmate. You will within the next full moon. My mother tried to cheer me up. Remember, your father and I didn't find each other until we were in our 20s."

Her hands moved around me, and the palms of her hands rested on each side of my face.

My eyes closed as she gracefully kissed my forehead and reopened.

Come, let us go downstairs; your father needs you."

She stretched out a hand as she came off the bed. I held it, and we both went downstairs together.

The pack was around the table eating when I got into the dining room—well, not the entire pack. The others were still in the forest, mating. When a wolf finds their soulmate, they mate for a day before returning to the pack.

They halted as they noticed me, seeing that I wasn't among the others who weren't there. They resumed their breakfast as I sat down. My father patted me on the back. It was his way of showing that he cared.

I had lost my appetite; I barely touched the pancakes and bacon.

"Excuse me, I said as I pulled back the chair, leaving the dining room.

I felt the need to be alone. I went to the porch and sat down. My dad had come to join me as well. He sat next to me.

"I know you're dissatisfied that you didn't find your mate, but don't worry, you'll do so next year." He, too, tried to cheer me up.

I nodded.

"Don't take it hard on yourself, Jurius; after all, your first mating season could have been worse; you could have been mated to a human."

Immediately I got up, struck by his words.

"Son, are you okay?" He got up as well, concerned.

"I'm fine, father."

"Great," he said, giving me a hard pat on the back again before returning inside.

"Dad," I stopped him.

He turned to look at me.

"Who were the unlucky wolves who were mated to humans?" I asked curiously.

"That's not important, son; just be happy that you're none of them."

Dad went back inside, and I sat back down, troubled.

Why does this have to happen to me? I grew angry.