36. All We Can Do

"Why did it have to be Daniel of all people?" Stephanie asked as she adjusted the dress Kirsten had made her wear and put a hand to her hair.

She felt ridiculous. Even after all this time, she still wasn't used to getting all dressed up for these events. Her hair was thankfully not in her way, for once. It was in a stately up-do of some sort, which was an upgrade in Stephanie's opinion. The dress, however, was too soft against her skin. It didn't feel nearly as secure and substantial as a good pair of jeans and a jacket. Sure, it was flattering - as it should be for the price it came at, but it just wasn't what Stephanie wanted to spend an evening in. She felt like the back was cut too low, exposing too much skin for her taste.

"Stop messing with it," Kirsten said. "You're worse than a child. It's ridiculous. The dress is gorgeous and you look fine."

Stephanie bit her tongue instead of glaring at her friend and tried to make her hands rest at her side. It didn't last long so she crossed her arms. To keep her anxious body occupied, she started to make slow loops around the room.

"As for why it had to be Daniel," she started. "I didn't realize that he was the one that gave you up. You never named him publicly. He's the one who tipped me off about this whole thing and I trust him."

"Fair enough," Stephanie allowed, pausing in her pacing. "But I don't even get why I need an escort for this thing. I'm fine by myself."

Fluffing up her own hair a little bit, Kirsten stood in front of the mirror and finished applying her makeup, leaning in close to see better.

"I'd feel better with an extra pair of eyes around."

Stephanie frowned. "Security's going to be tight anyway. They have some high profile people going. We even have our own guards for the group."

A loud sigh echoed around the room as Kirsten straightened up and started to pack away all the stuff she'd been using to get ready for the night. Then, once she was done with that, she turned to Stephanie and put her hands on her hips, giving the werewolf the look. It was something Kirsten had used quite often since the subject of the gala had come up, and Stephanie kind of wanted to suggest that she put a patent on it at this point.

"Daniel's been working on this a lot lately," Kirsten said. "He knows what he's doing and he's super observant, you could learn something from him."

"I could learn from him?" Stephanie repeated. "You know, back in Quinn, I once had the strangest feeling that someone was following us. He said I was being paranoid. I got stabbed."

Kirsten hesitated and then shrugged. "Well, he's gotten better then."

"Why can't you just come with me?"

"Did you really just resort to whining?"

"Did it work?"

"Not a chance."

Stephanie pouted, ignoring the withering look that Kirsten gave her in return for the childish act.

"Look," Kirsten said. "I'll be around, too, but it helps me if I'm not directly associated with you. I'm going with one of the rich kids that work with me as his 'date'."

"Thanks," Stephanie replied drily.

"Anytime."

Sinking down onto the edge of her bed, Stephanie picked at the hem of her dress. Kirsten slapped her hand away and gave her the look again. Following that, she headed into the next room to retrieve her bag which she brought back into the room and put down on the bed next to Stephanie. Out of the bag she slid four files, which she provided Stephanie with.