13. Dynamic Equilibrium

Stephanie knew it was going to be a good day when the fever had fully abated for the second day in a row. She still coughed occasionally but her chest wasn't sore from hacking every couple of minutes anymore, and she could tell that other people were grateful for it in their sleeping hours too. Mostly, she was just itching to do something. She'd been cooped up in the house for the past week recovering and trying to get some fat to stick back on her ribs.

For the most part, she'd been successful, even if she still felt like she was too tall for the weight that she was. Energy was easier to come by too, partially because of the time she'd spent recovering, and partly because she'd begun to get used to the sound of other people sleeping around her.

The closer it got to the holidays the more people seemed to stick around the home during the day and at night, as kids got off of school and businesses started to close up, and Stephanie was surprised to have found out that it wasn't just werewolves staying there, though that was it predominantly. People like Lydia, who knew of werewolves also stayed if they didn't have anywhere else to go.

It was still a struggle to get used to having so many people constantly moving around her, a changing sea of faces, but she'd found her roots in the few people she did know. She mostly still stayed out of the way, and found that a lot of other people kept to themselves as well, and only cast her a couple of wary glances every now and again. Gradually, the constant chest tightening anxiety had begun to loosen its grip on her, though it was a close thing and she still often was overwhelmed.

Brennan was almost never in, always out working, and Lydia held a job as a secretary that had her out for most of the day. Amy was the only really constant face that Stephanie was familiar and at ease with, so she'd mostly stuck by her and helped with George when she could.

"Hey, Stephanie."

Stephanie turned around, away from staring out at the evening sky, to see Lydia approaching her and smiled.

"I was just wondering," she started. "If you'd be okay to work tonight?"

It was something that Stephanie had been waiting for, but true to form Brennan had shut her down on it, telling her to get better instead. She'd be no use to anyone if she overworked herself and ended up even sicker. But sitting around for hours on end wasn't helping anyone, and she just wanted to get moving and do something.

This boredom and confinement to the house was far too similar to her experience in the Facility for her to be comfortable. A chance to get out, get a change of scenery, would do wonders for her state of mind.

"Yeah," Stephanie said. "I'd love to."

She felt dizzy with exhilaration and relief: excitement. Lydia grinned back and tossed a jacket and boots at her, gesturing for her to put them on and follow her downstairs. Stephanie did so laboriously slow, her hands were quivering with expectation and a heavy dose of fear.

Her emotions had been so conflicted ever since she'd left the Facility, and she never quite knew where she stood with them, but she chose to push past them all and show some courage for once. This would be good for her.

Dressed for the chilly weather outside, Stephanie hurried down the hallway and down the stairs, like a kid on Christmas morning, and stopped at the landing. Standing next to Lydia was a young man, just two years older than Stephanie herself. Amy's oldest, William. He looked tired, with his shoulders hunched up around his ears to ward of the cold and no doubt fatigue for working extensive hours and attending school. Even so, he offered her a reassuring smile that barely showed up on his face before it faded.

"You ready, then?" He asked.

Stephanie offered him a timid grin and then thanked Lydia.

"William will take you to Tomas when you get there, he'll tell you what to do. They're understaffed tonight, Christmas Eve and all, so you'll probably be waitressing."