1. What Is and What Should Never Have Been

EIGHTEEN MONTHS LATER

Good Morning America continues live from Times Square with Tia Maduro.”

Liam’s heart hammered in his chest, unused to the roar of the crowd and electric atmosphere waiting for him just outside the car. He took a deep breath, rolled his shoulders and collected his thoughts. A year ago, he hadn’t even thought it was possible. It wasn’t exactly something that was on his mind: fans, fame, money. All he’d wanted was to survive long enough to find his way in life.

Turned out that finding his way meant living in a parallel universe- at least, that’s what it felt like.

Forcing an easy, amiable smile onto his face, he opened the door and stepped out of the car into the brisk, winter air of New York’s inner sanctum. Grey, overcast skies hung over the tall buildings, the ever-present glare of digital billboards substituting for the sun. Immediately, the hoards of people, barricaded into groups along the path to the studio increased the volume of their cheers.

It used to take him a long time to find his balance, to readjust to this mess of sound and light and people, but he barely hesitated this time. Instead, he stepped forward, tugging at the cuffs of his suit and smoothing it out as he walked down the pathway.

It was ridiculous to think that just a few months ago, he’d been no one. Nobody had known his name, couldn’t connect it to his face. Now? Now it was a miracle if somebody didn’t recognize him.

“And we’ve been gathered down here all morning, the moment has arrived. Liam Hall is right here in Times Square, live for the first time. And he is here with us shortly after the release of the breaking news story that led us all to remember his name.”

Hands reaching for him, people shrieking his name, lights flashing. As Liam headed down the carpet he stopped and signed his name on whatever was offered, grinning and taking pictures with a couple of people as he went.

It was an easy, mindless job- one that took nearly no getting used to once a person got used to the fact that people wanted them, wanted to be like them.

And each time he made someone’s day, by hugging or briefly talking to them, he felt a thrill run through him. Joy. That was what he’d been made to do. As an alpha’s son, all he wanted was to make people happy- make them feel wanted. It had been far too long since he’d been able to fulfill that role.

The fact that most of these people were humans didn’t even register. It didn’t matter because he was still doing something worth caring about.

“And he’s making his way up the carpet- a lot of excited fans here this morning for Liam.”

He neared the end of the barricaded runway, the fans thinning out the closer he got to the entrance of the studio. The noise began to fade as he came inside, faced with a whole new flock of fans, lining the corridor.

“Live in our studio for the first time ever is Liam Hall, and here comes the moment we have all been waiting for all morning, as he approaches the studio.”

It had only been less than a minute, through all of this, and he was already at the giant studio doors. They opened seamlessly ahead of him, revealing a far quieter studio, bright with color and light. He widened his smile, waving as he stepped in and the doors closed behind him.

“And here he is!” Introduced the host, her hazel eyes sparkling as she stepped forward to meet him. “Please welcome to GMA, the lovely Liam Hall.”

He strode onto the stage, his arm raised as he waved at the rows and rows of people standing below the stage. Plastered on his face was his best Hollywood smile, complete with pearly white canines and dimples. Adrenaline rushed through his veins, but Liam took it into stride, a skill that took an immense amount of time and experience to master.