Chapter 2

Essence and I walk into the party where she's almost immediately greeted by a new person every second.

A gasp comes from my left. "Essie is that you? Oh my gosh, and did you really manage to get the princess out the house?" A girl from our old high school taps my shoulder and pulls me in for a hug. I just give her a quick smile in return.

Essence pulls her into a hug and laughs. She yells something over the music in response, but I stopped listening.

It's too fucking loud.

Everything is too loud.

The music, the talking, the smell of weed.

I just wanna get this stupid challenge over with and go home. At this point, I'm willing to get the number of any dude just so he can drive me back to the crib.

Doesn't seem like Essence will any time soon.

I glance over at her to see her already flirting and innocently batting her eyelashes at a boy.

My eyes roll. I should've known this was all just a ploy to get me out of the house. That trick doesn't want me to get a man, she just wanted me to come with her to drink and party.

I watch her as she socializes with any and everybody. Unlike me, she's well-known for all the right reasons.

Her personality and mine are completely different in public. She's all smiley and approachable.

I don't even need a mirror to know that the expression on my face isn't a friendly one.

Looking around, I try to find a guy that looks like he takes care of himself and most likely has a car.

"Hey," I hear come from behind me.

I turn around and almost run into the chest of a huge man. At least six foot five. My eyes widen.

He chuckles, "I get that a lot."

"Sorry," I mutter. He leans his head down a little so he can hear me. "That was rude."

"You can make up for it by giving me your number?" He suggests with a smile.

"You're so sweet," I look him from head to toe. "And cute." I tilt my head and feel myself give him a sad smile as I shake my head. "But no."

"No?"

"No," I repeat.

"W-why not?" He chuckles out.

"Well, because I said so? Do I need a reason?"

"No, but-"

"Have a goodnight." I interrupt as I make my way to the drink table.

I grab a cup and look at the options displayed in front of me. There are many options, but the ones that catch my eye the most are a blue one with both gummy worms and bears and a reddish one with jolly ranchers.

I choose the red one after going back and forth between the two.

After using the ladle to scoop some into my cup, I put it to my lips and taste it. It's a thick consistency with a bitter taste.

"Uh-oh," Essence says from beside me. "She found the wock."

"It's kinda good," I chuckle, taking another sip.