Chapter 4

Three days.

It's been three days since the party and I still haven't given anyone my number.

Though, I haven't left the house since, so you really can't blame me.

I'm fine with not rushing this process. Rolling Loud isn't for another couple of weeks.

Essence is the only one who seems to be suffering.

"Did you get a text yet?" She asks for the millionth time this morning.

She's been bugging me about a text for days now. She won't tell me who it would be from or why it's so significant.

I take a bite out of my buttered toast before shaking my head no as I scroll through TikTok.

"Ugh!" She groans. "You're not taking this serious enough!"

"Who do I look like stressing over a random's text? You wont even tell me why this text is so important."

She sits next to me on a barstool at the island and lets out a long sigh. "You know most people would die of suspense if they knew they were supposed to be expecting something at anytime."

"Those people don't know their self worth if they're impatiently waiting more than five minutes for something to come to them."

I go back to scrolling until I can feel Essence staring into the back of my head. I groan in annoyance, "Do you want me to check my notifications?" I ask without looking at her.

"Your phone's seriously on DND?!" She gasps.

"Yeah," I shrug. "When isn't it?" Pulling down my Notification Center, I read through each and every notification in a descending order.

Most of them being from Fashion Nova and Shein.

"15% off summer clothing on Fashion Nova, you think it's worth it?" I read out loud.

"Yeah, later. Who's that text from..? The unsaved number."

"Oh," I read the number to myself. "That's you."

"Bitch-"

I stifle a laugh.

She ignores me and rolls her eyes as she reads through my notifications. "What about that one?"

"Which one?"

She points to a four-oh-seven area-coded number. I tap on the notification and read it.

Unsaved Number.
3:08 AM

(407) xxx-xxxx
luxury.

I read the message that has nothing but my first name in all lower case. My eyes narrow in confusion. "The fuck?" I reread the number, but it's not ringing a bell.

Essence lets out a squeal.

I whip my head toward her to see her cover her mouth as if she didn't mean to do that.

"Do you know who this is?"

"No..."

"Essence, I'm not fucking playing."

"Okay, okay, don't be mad." She starts and takes a few steps back for her own safety. "I gave your number to the cutie from the party. But only because he asked. I'm sorry, okay don't be mad." She rushes out.