7

I didn’t let anyone know of my inner thoughts, only held Felis tighter, much to his displeasure.

Milo, however, seemed to know something was off, while being uncomfortable himself. Before he could say anything, Filch stormed over to see his precious cat.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t almost crying, not for Filch, but for Mrs. Norris.

The poor cat didn’t deserve that.

"My cat! Who did this?!" Filch screamed angrily as he looked around wildly. Naturally, he looked at Harry, who was the closest to the deceased cat, and pointed dramatically. "You! You've murdered my cat! I'll kill you! I'll-"

"Argus!" Dumbledore interrupted loudly as he brushed through the crowd of students. He grabbed Mrs. Norris, who remained as stiff as a board. "Come with me, Argus. You, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger."

Lockhart smiled brightly as he stepped up. "My office is nearest, Headmaster - just up the stairs - please, feel free-"

"Thank you Gilderoy," Dumbledore said before he swept away from the crime scene with the cat.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Filch, Snape, McGonagall, and Lockhart followed after the headmaster of Hogwarts.

The crowd watched them for a moment before Flitwick and Sprout demanded that everyone go back to their common rooms.

I gave Milo a slightly worried glance, but he quickly departed with his hand covering his mouth, looking rather pale. I bit my lower lip as I headed back to the Gryffindor common room, still holding Felis close to my chest. I waited around for Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but they only came back after midnight, all of them looking grave.

They didn't allow me to ask any questions as they all hurried past and headed to bed.

I huffed in annoyance as I followed Harry and Ron up to the second-year boys' bedroom. "What happened?" I demanded to know in a quiet voice so as to not awaken our other classmates.

"Filch's cat was petrified," Harry said, and my stomach twisted.

"That's really Dark magic," I murmured worriedly.

"It's probably because Filch is a squib," Ron hypothesized.

"Filch is a squib?" I repeated in surprise before immediately frowning deeply. "Well, either way, Mrs. Norris didn't deserve to be petrified."

Ron rolled his eyes as he said, "Relax, the cat will be given a potion that will heal her, but it can't be brewed until later."

I laid down in my bed, hoping that Felis would stay out of trouble, especially considering it was dangerous for cats out there. I then remembered my missing diary and began to look through my things, just in case I had managed to drop it. I didn't find it, leading me to feel quite annoyed.

Had I dropped it, or did someone steal it? In either case, it was definitely involved in what happened and was in the wrong hands.

I needed to find it and put a stop to the attacks on cats. I can’t let Felis get hurt.

-♪-

It wasn’t until the next morning that I remembered where I had last had it - the astronomy tower. Before I could move, a flash of orange fur leaped at my face. Once I was sure all claws were away, I carefully peeled Felis off. "What's wrong, boy?"

Felis, not being able to speak English, merely meowed at me.

I blinked slowly. So this is how we’re doing this. “Meow once if it has something to do with the diary, meow twice if you’re hungry.”

Felis meowed once.

I waited patiently for a few seconds before giving a groan. "Of course, it has something to do with that blasted diary."

Felis meowed once again before allowing me to set him down on my bed.

"I need to find it-"

Felis once again meowed, looking ready to launch himself onto my face again.

"People are in danger," I hissed at the cat, "You're in danger so long as that diary is out there."

Felis once again failed to give a human reply, rather meowing.

I gave a sigh before checking my watch. "I need to get ready for class."

Felis looked displeased, but he should have known that not even the Heir of Slytherin could stop me from going to class.