13

That night, I started to write a letter to Karayan, asking for more details about the Chamber while also telling Karayan about Val's condition. I had no idea where I was going to send the letter to, but I hoped that he would get it. After sending the letter off, I decided to go to bed earlier than normal.

Of course, sleep was a cruel bugger, and it refused to let me dream in peace.

Well, that and Scabbers (Ron's pet rat) was loudly squeaking after Ron accidentally rolled over onto it.

I huffed as I sat awake in the middle of the night, my arms crossed over my chest. I wanted a potion for sleep, but I highly doubted that Draco's godfather, Professor Snape, would give me any. Well, that or he'd tell Mother, and I didn't want her to be worried about my inability to sleep. Therefore, I could only stay awake until something lulled me to sleep. I headed down to the common room to sit in front of the warmth of the fire.

Ginny was pacing in the common room, chewing her lip worriedly. When she noticed my presence, she stopped and seemed to grow even more nervous.

"Is something wrong?" I asked as I headed over to the fire.

"No," she blatantly lied.

"Okay," I said, not wanting to push the subject when she obviously didn't trust me. I sat down on one of the couches by the warmth, wondering what I should do about the Chamber of Secrets.

Ginny suddenly groaned as she approached before throwing herself down next to me. "I need advice."

"From me?" I asked in surprise, especially considering most people in Gryffindor found me to be untrustworthy thanks to my family.

"I don't know what to do," Ginny admitted as she brushed some of her hair out of her face.

"About?" I inquired as I motioned for her to continue.

"Amy," she said softly.

"What's wrong with Amy?" I pressed.

"She's..." Ginny hesitated for a moment before mumbling, "She's different."

"Everyone's a little different-"

"No, I mean, her personality changed," Ginny explained, "She was so nice and sweet, and now she's acting scared. I think she's getting sick, too, because her skin is always pale."

"Is someone bullying her?" I asked in concern.

"I don't know," Ginny said, "Every time I ask about it, she snaps at me before leaving. I thought we were friends, but she doesn't want my help."

Her eyes began to tear up, so I quickly said, "Maybe she doesn't want to be any trouble."

The Weasley looked at me in confusion. "What?"

I flushed a bit. "Well, I mean... Sometimes, if I'm having trouble, but I don't want to be a bother, I'll just deal with it on my own."

"That's not healthy," Ginny lectured.

"I know, but that's how I was raised," I said lamely, "Maybe Amy feels something similar."

"Well... I want to help her," Ginny said, "She's my friend."

I nodded slowly before suggesting, "Just give her some time. If you show that you really care, she'll open up eventually. If you push it, though, she'll only get more worried about being a bother."

Ginny thought it over before sighing. "I guess I can try that."

"When worse comes to worst, you could always tell Professor McGonagall that you're worried about her and that you think she's got the flu," I said.

Ginny nodded, though she still looked a bit discouraged.

"I'll mention it to Milo," I then said, "Maybe he'll be able to cheer her up."

"I just wish she'd talk to me instead of writing in that diary all the time," Ginny said with a heavy sigh.

I felt my blood run cold as she got up with a disheartened expression. "Diary?"

Ginny flushed deeply. "It's a girl thing-"

"Does this diary have a name on it - T. M. Riddle?" I asked fretfully.

The girl looked at me curiously. "How did you know?"

"Uh, I lost that diary a few weeks ago," I admitted as I blushed.

"You didn't write in it," Ginny said as she gave me a funny look.

"I wanted the first entry to be special," I lied in a defensive tone.

"Well, Amy is using it now," she said dismissively.

I nodded slowly, knowing I had to get that diary back or die trying. I knew Tom was probably being cruel toward Amy. That, and I was still sure he knew something about the Chamber of Secrets.

Ginny bid me goodnight before heading off to bed.

I returned the gesture before I began pacing the common room. I just had to get that diary back...