Night time

I smiled as I looked at myself in the mirror. This was nice. Staying with Lonnie and Rogelio is nice. I don't really feel scared around them and they've been really nice. I picked up my dirty outdoor clothes from the bathroom floor and left, dropping them off an empty basket Lonnie had given me to put my dirty clothes. This way we can separate our clothes.

"You done?" Rogelio signed as I walked into the room. I nodded, slightly blushing seeing him in his pj's. I had known he was buff, but now seeing him in an undershirt, really shows just how muscular he was.

He nodded and wrote something down on a paper before giving it to me.
If you are wondering about where to do homework, we usally do it on the kitchen table. Typically after work, that way we can help each other with it.

"Oh, thank you." I said, realizing I had completely forgotten about where I'd do my homework.

He nodded then signed something, it took me a moment, but after a bit I got it. "Oh! Am I tired? Yeah, usally. But I can never sleep. Usally just a few hours, maybe 4 if I'm lucky."

He nodding, taking his phone out to text me. I walked over to him, so we were both sitting on the bed.

Would it be better if I texted you to communicate? It read. I took out my phone seeing the text on there.

"I mean, yeah. I know some ASL, but not alot. I'll try my best, but for now this may work better."

He nodded and sent another text. I looked at my phone.

I have a pretty strict sleeping schedule. I sleep at 10, wake up at 6. I get grumpy if I break the schedule.

"Probably for the best. I sleep at like 11 or 12, then wake up at 1 to 2. Sometimes 3, but rarely."

What do you do with all that time?

"Well, Typically homework. I take forever to do it. If the teacher says it'll take 30 minutes, I spend 3 hours. So, I guess it helps. I do play games sometimes tho."

What games do you like to play?

"Mario, Mario cart, sometimes Super Smash Bros, but I suck at it."

You have a switch?

"Yup. I saved up money from my job for it. What do you like to do?"

Cooking. I love cooking. Also going to the gym. You know, their was a point where I was helping a mechanic with cars. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't want it for a life-long job.

"What do you like to cook?"

Tacos definitely. But anything I can grill is always fun. I don't know, something about standing near the grill cooking meat is just really nice. I make killer burgers. In the mornings I sometimes make Chilaquiles. It's really good. Enchiladas. Chilie en nogada. Camarones a la Diabla. Really, just my favorite foods. Knowing it will turn out amazing and tasty makes the whole process so much better. I occasionally bake, but I prefer cooking way more.

"Wow. Those sound good. How did you learn to cook?"

A lot of it was recipes. But Carlos has been a big help. Especially when it came to Mexican cuisine. After we got to know him, he'd invite me to his house where he'd teach me how to cook.

"So, you guys are close?"

Yeah. I had been looking for a job on the weekends. This was like 2 years ago. He was a chef at a restaurant I worked at. I was helping cleaning the place. We became close and he'd teach me how to cook at his house. It was pretty recently he opened his truck. At that point I had quite the weekend job because it was hard to handle along with school, hw, and my other job.

"That's nice." I smiled, laying down on the bed. I felt Rogelio lay down next to me.

Do you like your job? You work at a child care center, right?

"Yeah. I like it, I only have to deal with little kids and they are way easier to deal with. I just try to make them happy and do whatever they say basically."

Do you like kids?

"Oof. Do I actually like them? I mean, yeah, they're cute. But they are extremely tiring. Do you like kids?"

Very much. At the orphanage I was surrounded by them and felt like an older sibling to all of the little kids.

"That's nice. How was the orphanage like?" He waited a while before responding.

Crowded. There were many kids. Many kids. They all came from different backgrounds, and due to it some kids were angrier than others. It was very loud. As some of the older kids, me and Lonnie had to clean up after the little ones so it was very tiring. I'm glad we got to go to our own apartment. It wasn't a bad orphanage, but, you know.

I nodded, feeling bad I had asked.

"Sorry if I brought up bad memories or something."

No, it's alright. The place was just loud and chaotic. I prefer things that are quiet and calm.

"Yeah, I get that."

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit tired. I'm going to sleep now.

"No problem. I'll probably do some reading or homework."

He nodded and signed goodnight. I left, turning the lights off to do some work.