chapter 13

Kristen Jonsson was in this, all the way. She had been in this since the moment her mother had slipped away from this world. Mom had been one of the Queen's most trusted advisers, elite. That's probably why the Queen had hated her so much. She had trusted mom and in her eyes, mom had betrayed her. In reality, mom was looking for adventure. She wanted a new life, a family, away from all the fae drama. Jame just happened to be the one with the offer.

Now it was her legacy. Her vengeance would bring that bitch to her knees. She knew what it was like to control. She understood, on a basic level, why the Queen would never want to give that up. Even if she understood it, she wasn't willing to accept it. Too many people had died. If her parents had not been among them. If Al did not still make her heart pidder-padder, would she be here? Did it matter? They were dead. She knew where the blame needed to be placed.

Now Emma was gone, she was separated from the rest, nabbed from her bed. Cast in the middle of a war she didn't entirely understand or believe in. She didn't like Emma, but she didn't envy her, either. New queen, sure, she was all about that shit. However, she didn't care so much about the who. Just the whys. The Queen's decaying, decrepit body would not be able rule once Kristen was done with her.

About Five Years Ago.

Through the first sixteen years of life she had seen moments of drama and incident. She was a teenage girl, of course. Never before had she never before woken up in the certain knowledge that the coming months would be burned in her consciousness. She wasn't ai like Emma, but the charge in the air was practically palpable.

As the sun poked through the opening of her ivory sheer satin window covers, she slid farther into the fluff of her light azure duvet. Dark moons swept under her eyes as she gave in to the morning and lazily stretch her thin arms over tousled blonde hair, pulling her toes into a perfect rond de jambe à terre. Finally dragging her lids up in a flutter, she quickly shut them before the sun could finish its assault on her irises.

She clenched them tight for a breathe before peeking one tanned foot out of her covers to test the air, the warm 76 degrees of her room sent my chilled leg quickly back under. Like they say, rip off the Band-Aid. Steeling herself she quickly jolted upward pulling the covers down to her knees and gracefully hopped onto the plush rug positioned just for a morning such as this, when she needed to spring, and coax, and force herself into her morning routine. The routine that consists of flossing through this metal contraption her parents insisted that the orthodontists install on her only slightly imperfect white teeth. Her father refusing to allow the Invisalign kind, god forbid she not look completely disgusting, likely he thought her was teaching her some kind of lesson. She had begged him for that kind that only those incredibly close to her mouth would notice, meaning no one would. Instead, she had to start her junior year with braces. She was never going to make friends.

Making her way down the long expanse of stairs she contemplated just going back in her room, locking the door and hiding in there until college. Plush carpeting inviting her bare feet to make the journey down. Feet gliding down each step with the grace that only seven years of ballet can give you. Large, thirty-foot, floor to ceiling window panes opened up her view to the large vastness of deep blue and seafoam-y green water crashing against the rocky foundation of their Santa Barbara home. The sea always had a calming power on her body and mind. She assumed that is the same reason my parental units had this place built. The arlynd ability could be honed and heightened with the strength of the waves.

Caressing the bottom of the dark wood railing and using it to pull herself away from the mesmerizing scene before her, she found herself stricken by yet another stunning view. She could not see his face but in the three weeks since he had arrived, she had memorized every dark lock and sharp, strong curve of his body. She could close her eyes and see him as intensely before her. Al had an average build, but he radiated a strength that could only be matched by men of the sidhe tribe. He had been sent here to protect her. Supposedly, some sort of rebellion was beginning to rise and form in the fae community and sidhe had been sent by the Queen to squash it, and any fae, that had been living amongst humans. Her mom was not exactly discreet with her "magical" gifts; both my parents were well-known in the fae community even if their offspring was not. They were well known amongst the human community as well.