Story 26 - Three Serpants

.

Fiona's point of view (on enrolment in school in 1912):

Early in the morning I jumped out of bed. Today was finally the date for my first day at school.

Dad said goodbye early in the morning to go to the bakery, while papa and mum still stayed at home.

Before breakfast, there was a knock on our door. "Good morning Valea. Are you as excited as I am?", I asked her and she nodded.

Aunt Elva and Valea sat down on the sofa while Uncle Kay helped Papa.

It wasn't long before there was another knock. I ran to the door where my cousins were looking at me as excitedly as I was at them. Venora and Senara were just as excited as I was. Tina was already a bit older, so she seemed more relaxed. She came over to me, put her hand on my cheek and grinned widely, "Your heart is racing, Fiona. Just relax, Hogwarts is going to be nice," she said before walking over to Papa and greeting him.

Uncle Ominis and Auntie Anne joined Auntie Elva on the sofa, while Valea joined me and my other cousins. We talked about what to expect in the coming days. Then we all ate together before leaving for the station.

"I don't know what time I'll be home today. Have to write owls to all the parents of the first graders today about which house the children have been sent to. But I'll hurry." said Papa as a farewell, before giving Mum a kiss and disappearing down the chimney.

Together we apparated to the station with all our things. Sammy and Tessy hurried into the train before us to save us a compartment.

Our parents said goodbye and just as we were about to board, Uncle Ominis held the twins, "And please don't talk to each other in Parseltongue when others are around." he said quietly. "Yes, Dad." they both said in sync, giving him another kiss on the cheek each before boarding with me.

We quickly found the compartment Sammy had saved for us. However, there were more of us than there should have been, so Tessy sat on Sammy's lap and I laid down on the floor.

The train ride was fun, even though it was a bit long, but we had a great time talking.

At the station, we were met by Papa, who looked quite stressed but still cheerful.

When we arrived at the castle, we gathered in front of the lectern where Papa gave his speech.

"It is a great pleasure to see you all again, or to meet you all for the first time. I am Professor Weasley-Sallow and your Potions teacher.

This year we have another small change in the staff. Our much appreciated Deputy Headmistress, Professor Weasley, has gone into her well-deserved retirement.

Professor Dumbledore will be taking her place as Gryffindor Head of House and Transfigurations teacher. I will take on the role of Deputy Headmaster.

But then I'd say let's not keep the newcomers waiting any longer, and sort them out to their houses."

Papa floated a small stool over and called up the first student.

"Sallow, Senara." he said after a while. Before the hat was even on her head, "SLYTHERIN!" the hat called out. "Sallow, Venora." shouted Papa next. It was just as quick with her as it had been with Senara.

"Weasley, Valea.", now the hat didn't think twice either before saying "Gryffindor!".

"Weasley-Sallow, Fiona.", now I went upstairs and sat on the stool. Papa put the hat on my head, who also called out "Slytherin!" after a short while.