Chapter 3: Age 9

Riley stands outside the large glass doors of her elementary school, awaiting Danny. As the clock ticks away, she grows more and more impatient. Riley's aware than Danny has been late to every recess, but she doesn't understand why he couldn't make it on time for this one.

Just as the large doors open, she stands on her tiptoes hopefully. She looks around, trying to find Danny. She sighs, wondering how finding someone as tall as Danny could be this difficult.

Two arms wrap around Riley's waste, picking her up form the ground. "Let me go!" she screams, even though she's not scared.

Danny's signature melodic laugh echoes rings through Riley's ears, and she can't help but smile as she turns around to greet him. After burying her head in the nook of his shoulders, she says, "I feel like haven't seen you in ages."

Saying 'I haven't seen you in ages' would have been a lie, since she's seen him quiet recently. The two of them spoke the day before, but recess has become one of the only times they see each other daily now. The days when they met up after school each day and rode their bikes aimlessly are gone now.

Danny's been going to more and more hockey practices lately. Even though Riley loves seeing him on the court and screaming her head off when he scores, she can't help but wish she could have her time back with him. She wants to go back to the days when Danny had the time to just lie on the ground and watch the day pass by.

"Sorry," Danny mumbled, wishing his mom hadn't insisted that he join a better hockey team.

Riley was too preoccupied with the words in her head to hear him, but once she notices that half the school was already in the park she grabs Danny's arms and drags him there.

Without warning, Danny found himself running and trying to not trip over the rocks in the ground. He considers asking her why she's in a rush, but by now he knows better than to question Riley.

Riley keeps running, hearing the fast pitter patter of her feet touching the ground. Once she reaches the park she takes the last remaining seat on the bench and tells the other to move over to make space for Danny. Surprisingly, they find room for him.

Most of the school are playing in the park, either catching butterflies or doing whatever young kids do, but about ten kids—most of whom were fourth graders—sat in the parking lot.

It's a perfect sunny day. The clouds in the sky are whiter than the teeth of celebrities, and the tall green trees sway with the help of just the right amount of wind.

Against his better judgment, Danny asks, "so what are we waiting for again?"

"Your brother is getting married!"says a loud voice from besides Riley.

Instantly, she feels sick. Riley knew that she's attending a wedding, but no one bothered to tell her that it was the wedding of Ben Wheeler. Something about the idea seams wrong to her. She can't quite put her finger on it, but it doesn't seem right.

Riley doesn't know who he's getting married to, but she already knows that she's wrong for Ben.