Chapter 11: Age 14 Part 2

"Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you

But ain't nobody love you like I do

Promise that I will not take it personal, baby

If you're moving on with someone new"

_______________________________________________________________________________

Riley walks to the Wheeler's house. She's never felt so nervous standing in front of their house before. Her heart beats faster than she's ever felt it. She knows she needs to talk to Danny. To apologise if she has done something wrong.

She just doesn't know what she wants to say. She needs to say something, but she has no idea where to start.

It's been a day since Danny walked out on her. They haven't spoken since. She has no idea what happened, but he seemed really upset. Riley wanted to say something sooner, but she couldn't gather the courage. So here she was: in front of his house.

She's talked about it with Quinn. Honestly, this fight has been the only thing that she's talked about with Quinn the entire day. Quinn has been really helpful, but Riley knows she's sick of hearing about it. Quinn was the one who told her she should go to Danny's house and apologise. "Good friends are worth more than pride," she had said. 

With a deep breath, Riley knocks on the door. No answer. She knocks a few more times and still doesn't hear anyone moving to the door. She's about to just turn around and head back home when she realises that she should probably try the doorbell. All this nervousness makes it difficult to think.

RING.

Almost instantly she hears lazy footsteps towards the door. The door opens and reveals the lean figure of Ben Wheeler. "It's your," he says, not even looking Riley in the eyes.

Riley had been so preoccupied with the fight with Danny that she'd forgotten that Ben even existed. But now, with him standing right in front of her she can't even remember why she came in the first place. 

"You're here for Danny, right?"

All that Riley can do is nod.

"He's not here. Practice is running late nowadays. Him and mom are at the rink." Ben slowly starts the shut the door on her face, but Riley regains her senses just in time and stick her foot between the door.

"Can I wait for him inside? It's important," she manages to say.

Ben just shrugs his shoulders and walks back into the living room. He hasn't given her a real answer, but she takes it as a yes.

She sits on the couch besides Ben. He doesn't pay her any attention and just goes back to playing whatever videogame he was playing earlier. It soon became an awkward few minutes. Riley just sits their watching the screen as Ben plays his game, which seems to be a confusing story where Ben just ran around as a strange animal and hit things once in a while.