Chapter 5: Age 10-part 2

"And if I only could,

Make a deal with god,

And get him to swap our places,

Be running up that road,

Be running up that hill,"

__________________________________________________________________

The whole world is a shade of pink, or maybe Riley just sees it that way because of her concussion. Either way, the world is so much prettier when it's pink.

Even though Riley was never fond of the colour before, all of a sudden pink seems beautiful to her. The slightly tinted sky makes her smile, and the leaves remind her of autumn now.

Actually, it is autumn, which might explain why the leaves are pink.

Riley let out a small giggle, continued by full out laughing. Whilst laughing she snorts ever so often. In the mist of her laughing, she doesn't notice that she's fallen off her bike.

"Are you okay?" Danny asks, trying to keep a concerned face. All he wants to do is smile. That was the effect Riley's laughter has on him. He's always thought her laughter was the best sound in the world, especially when she snorts. Danny never thought of the noise as awkward, but rather illuminating. Her laugh is only truly genuine when she lets out the raspy sound.

How can Danny not love her laugh?

She turns to Danny, brown eyes still alive with laughter. 'Because you make the leaves pink," she wants to say, but the words are stuck in her throat.

Even at the age of ten, Riley understands the fear of telling someone how she feels. Maybe she's worried that he won't like her back, and maybe she's worried that it'll ruin their friendship.

Either way, she's seen too many romantic comedies to think that telling him how she feels is a good idea.

If movies have taught her anything, it's that she needs to wait a couple months before some wacky obstacle comes in their way, which they'll over come—of course—and then live happily ever after.

Yes, even at the age of ten Riley Perrin overthinks everything.

"I forgot," Riley says.

Confused, Danny begins to laugh with her. For a girl who seems to know everything, she sure did forget a lot of things.

Riley took another look around her, taking in the sight of the large lake in front of her. The pink tint is gone now, but it is replaced by one of a orange colour. Maybe Riley's imagining things, or maybe she should really get back to her mom and tell her about the fall.

Come to think about it, there is a dull throb on the left side of her head.

She places her small hand where it hurts. As she moves her hand in a circular motion, her blonde hair gets tangled in every direction—not that it wasn't already tangled from the ride and the fall.