Chapter 8

I drove away, looking at my to do list. I envied Chay greatly, being so young and carefree; without a care in the world.

I didn't recall being so free when I was 18 but then again, I was never free, was I? I was pushed into this world when I was 15 and was groomed to take over.

Sometimes, I wish I got to do stuff like movies, bowling, or even just going out for a coffee or tea. I sighed as I drove up to my meeting place. I parked the car and got out to go meet this business mogul.

It was a long day but I was finally done around 6pm. I was contemplating between going home or meeting Sun or just nursing glasses of whisky at a bar when I drove by a mall. Nobody needed to know, I am sure I could handle 1 ice cream by myself.

I parked the car and went to an ice cream parlour, instantly regretting my decision once I stepped in. I felt so out of place amongst the chattering girls, lovey dovey couples and the series of ice cream choices looking at me. I took a step back and decided to go home when I turned and bumped straight into Chay and his friends.

"Phi! What are you doing here?"

"I..I'm..er..I was supposed to pick up ice cream.."

Chay looked at me curiously. He asked his friends to find a seat.

"Did you by any chance, come to get ice cream? If you aren't with anyone, you can join us if its ok?"

I looked at Chay.

"Erm, you sure? Ah no its fine I think I will just head home. This is, was a bad idea."

I was about to turn when Chay grabbed onto my wrist.

"Phi, come on. We finally get a chance to hang out. Come sit with us. We can get ice cream together."

I looked at him and was seriously contemplating when Chay just pulled my hand, towards his friends.

"Hey guys, this is my brother's boss and friend P Kinn. He will be joining us for a bit, ok?"

"Sure, come on Phi. Sit down. What do you do? You are quite dressed up."

I was just mortified as I sat down quietly, figuring out on how to make a run for it. Chay sat next to me. He introduced me as a business owner and I went with that story. It was easier to explain than my actual role as being part of the Mafia underwold.

Chay's friends were a group of 2 girls and 3 boys and Chay himself. They were all apparently studying in the same university, same course and way too hyper for me. But it was nice to just sit and watch them as they bickered over music, movies and ice cream finally. I just smiled inwardly.

Chay wanted to get ice cream and he invited me to come too so I could pick mine. We stood at the counter, looking at the flavors pondering over the choices when the salesperson looked at us.

"You guys make such a cute couple. What flavours do you have in mind?"

I looked at her stunned. I peeked over at Chay who was just stuttering in disbelief. I finally muttered, "We aren't a couple. He's.. he's like a brother to me."

Chay looked at me but didnt say anything. He just nodded. The sales girl went "Aww, I'm sorry. You guys really looked so compatible. I'm sorry for the mistake."

I nodded and we picked our flavours. Under Chay's guidance and help, I settled for a dark peppermint chocolate bark and Chay got a strawberry vanilla. We went back to his friends and we shared flavours too.

"So Phi, are you dating anyone?"

"Uh what?" I nearly spat out my ice cream.

"I asked if you are dating anyone. You are so cute. I can imagine everyone falling over themselves to date you. Heck, even I will!"

One of Chay's friends Mei sputtered in excitement. I smiled, tried to I guess?

"I'm not. Anyways, I'm too old for you. You should consider someone of your age. I'm just very old.." I sputtered and looked away, face reddening. The girls cooed over my embarrassment.

Chay looked at me but didnt say anything. He finally spoke, "Hey guys, you should stop teasing my Phi, na!"

The group broke out into banter again over how protective Chay was being and all. I face palmed inwardly. We finished off the ice cream. I ended up dropping everyone off. Finally it was just Chay and me in the car.

"Are you going back home or back to ours?"

"I will be going home Phi. Phi Porsche told me I could go back. I said OK."

I nodded and made the turn towards his home. It was a quiet ride until Chay finally broke the silence.

"Phi, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, Chay. What's up?"

"Earlier, you said, at the parlour, I was like a brother to you. You, you meant it?"

I looked at him. I realized suddenly, if I said something wrong. But then again, that seemed like the right thing to say?

"That's very nice of you Phi. Like that, I have 2 brothers now, yea?"

Okays, when he said it that way, it was official. I shouldn't have said it that way. It seems like a wrong idea and now I can't seem to take it back.

And for some reason, I cannot for the life of me, see why it was the wrong thing to say when I knew it was the "right" thing to say.

Do you get me?

[Author's POV: Pretty sure, I do Kinn. You like Chay. You just need it knocked into your head to realize it. Stupid fellow.]