Chapter 2

Serenity stood in front of the door belonging to a rather luxurious well-presented house that she just entered. Her eyes traveled along the walls landing on every single detail scouting for any threats but seemingly spotting none. Maybe it wasn't as horrible as she thought it would be. To her dismay, It was far more congenial than her previous home. Her time spent there was not what you'd expect children her age to have. But she didn't remember most of her childhood, it was as if unnecessary memories were just wiped out of her head but she never paid much attention to it. Her thought process was cut off when the man who was now her new father called for her.

Reginald: Number 8!

She blinked her squinted eyes from the sun shining at her face through the curtains of the large window and slowly turned her attention towards her father, Mumbling a little yes. Mr.Hargreeves stepped one step to the side letting a woman with blond hair and a dotted dress walk forward, her hands laying gently in front of her waist and a wide smile spread across her face radiating a comforting energy.

Reginald: This is grace. She will be your mother from now on. She will give you whatever you need and guide you to your room, you should be dressed in ten minutes and meet me in the main room.

Grace: Come on sweety, let's get you dressed, shall we?

She spoke in a dulcet voice, bringing her hand towards the girl for her to hold, which she hesitantly took and followed her lead up the staircase into a room that she did not expect would be so decent. Grace handed her some clothes which she noticed were similar to the rest of the umbrella academy students. She tilted her head in wonder at why they'd even consider having her.

Grace: Would you like to eat anything?

Serenity turned to Grace blinking her eyes.

Serenity: Oh, Um- no thank you, I think I'm okay.

She spoke in her usual slow voice.

Grace: Let me know whenever you need something! 

!! time skip!!
Serenity walked down the wooden steps, tapping sounds being made each time she took a step.

Klaus: seeee, that's the girl I was talking abouttttt.

Her attention turned from the stairs to the boy she recognized from the hospital who she now knew as Klaus. The one to his right pushed an elbow into his side.

Ben: Klaus shut up! You're embarrassing her.

Ben spoke through, causing her to roll her lips inward and press them while diverting her gaze down to the stairs once more to stop a snigger from escaping her mouth. Once she had reached the bottom of the staircase. Grace went on introducing everyone to the new part of the academy, her eyes traveling from one to the other with her hands on top of each other resting in front of her. They all had smiles plastered over their faces except one...who she believed was Diego, she could tell that he didn't quite trust her yet.

Grace: Kids! You will help serenity around here, won't you?

Allisson: Of course, you can ask us whatever you like. We'll be happy to help you in any way!

Serenity gave her a nod, but her attention was quickly grabbed when the boy with knives, Diego spoke.

Diego: Don't speak much, do you?

He spoke with a straight face squinting his eyes at her. She returned the gesture, spinning on her heels a bit to turn towards the boy.

Serenity: I speak when it's valid...

Diego let a smile take over his expression and he scoffed, not expecting she'd say something, but he did realize that he'd underestimated her.

Diego: Am I supposed to consider that a competition?

She raised one of her eyebrows and gave him a slight shrug.

Serenity: I'll let you decide that.

Grace: Common serenity! Your father awaits you.

They both left the 6 siblings together. Luther let go of the chuckle that he was holding, placing one of his hands on his mouth while Diego was about to launch on him, being held back by bens arm on his chest.

Klaus: WOAH, relax batman.

Allison: yeah, she only ended your career.

Diego: shut up.

He spoke through his gritted teeth before walking off.

Serenity entered the main room, which she presumed was where the rest of the train was. She placed her hand on the opened door letting it slide as she entered before her arm fell by her side once more. Reginald stood in front of a window with his arms behind his back. She cleared her throat to grab his attention to which he turned around.

Reginald: ah! I see you're here. Sit down number 8.

He said, directing towards one of the sofas opposite the one he was going to be seated on. Serenity did as told and quietly sat down, legs pressed together and her hands on either of her thighs looking at Sir Reginald waiting for him to say something.

Reginald: You are now one of my umbrella academy students, I have seen that you have extraordinary powers which normal children do not have.

'Yeah..., I noticed.' she said to herself mentally.

Reginald: I will train you in the best possible ways as I did with all my other children. You will learn how to use them when needed and in the way of good. Pogo will help you master them.

Her eyebrows twitched for a second in a questioning manner.

Reginald: He is a companion of mine, a talking monkey to be precise.

He stated rather bluntly.

Serenity: oh...may I ask a question?

Reginald: Yes, go ahead.

Serenity: What's the point of my powers...when I'm too weak to use them?

Reginald: We will fix that. But. Of course, you will still be vulnerable when you use it too harshly. Using it too harshly may lead to much greater consequences than just nosebleeds and fainting. You will have to use them precisely, only when needed.

Serenity: And what if I can't rely on them.... if I do make the mistake of draining myself of my powers..., should I not perhaps learn how to defend without them?

Sir Reginald Looked at the girl dumbfounded by her conclusion. A correct yet unexpected one. And he knew well that she had the ability to teach herself how to be independent of her powers.

Reginald: well. I presume you know how you can do that.

Serenity: yes. I need to know about physical combat. And to work with weapons other than my powers...or maybe even more?

Reginald: how might I ask you will do that?

She looked down at her hands twiddling with her ring, spinning it around her finger.

Serenity: chemistry.... I-I've always been very interested...and made many chemical analyses. Well...as far as I could. The variety of books isn't as vast as I'd have liked it to be...

Reginald stood up and walked toward the door making her turn where he sat

Reginald: you may do what you need to achieve it...But I will always have you in my sight, better you not slip up. There is a library in the building, you may have as many books as you like besides the training time. You may start whenever you like.

And with that, He walked out. She straightened on the sofa feeling a toothy smile come to her face. She had all the freedom she wanted to acquire all that she had dreamed of, even though it might have been very different from other children's dreams.