Chapter 3

Serenity stood looking at the room full of different books from top to bottom, each shelf flawlessly organized. She let out a deep sigh before looking down at both her hands and putting them in front of her, aiming at a particular book before closing her eyes gently and picturing the book's movement towards her. Her eyebrows knitted tightly twitching from time to time in concentration. Her hands slightly shaking trying to get something to happen, lips pressed together. At last, her hands glowed a dim green and gold color. Serenity opened her eyes, her irises the same color as her hands making a breathy chuckle escape her mouth. The book came toward her floating in the air a bit wobbly but understandably well for her first try, almost falling to the floor when it came in arm's reach for her causing her to stretch her arms and catch it before it hit the floor.

Over time, she became familiar with her powers, and as years passed her power grew stronger just as knowledge did. She used her abilities to her advantage, but most importantly for the right thing. Driven by curiosity she never let her or anyone else's fears stop her from doing what she wanted. From learning to control her powers and strengthening them to learning about complex sciences and combat to use in times she couldn't rely on her power.

________________________________________________________________________________

"You move and both you and these people will be dead" Diego struggled in the grip of the man with the covered face who had managed to tie his hands while pointing a gun to his head. The family stood in a corner scared, not moving one inch for the sake of their lives. A low hum escaped from a voice belonging to a girl. "I suggest you reconsider your decision" A 5'2 figure stood, hands in pockets, hooded in black looking down, voice feminine, calm yet intimidating. The man with the gun to Diego's head looked at her perplexed, glancing at the locked door at his left and then back at the woman. "How the..." Serenity slowly cracked her neck moving her head left to right and raising her head to look at the man with an unbothered expression. "Look, I don't have the time or the energy to deal with your bullshit right now... Let him go and save yourself from the risk of the consequences" She spoke in a low deep voice. The man scoffed replying to her underestimated statement, which she was used to by now, considering not many people found a 22-year-old woman very threatening. "You think I'm here to take orders from a girl scout? It's four against 1."
She heard the clicking sounds of guns to her right left and back but didn't bother looking at any of the men. She took her hands out of her pockets folding them behind her back, pointing two of her fingers out, green particles swirling around her fingers in a means to pick up the fallen bullets without anyone's notice, and with an abrupt movement the bullets landed on each body surrounding her, she blinked behind the guy with the gun twisting his arm to the back with one of hers and pushing a syringe into his neck with the other causing the veins in his eyes to go black and fall to the floor breathless. Diego now stood up in front of her, pulling out one of his knives she cued for him to turn around and cut the rope around his wrists. He rubbed his wrists looking down at the man and then towards his sister.
"The hell did you do that?" "Do what?" she replied looking up at him. "Knocked the guy dead on the floor with whatever that was that you used." He said looking at her confused. "I might or might not have made a deal with that spider that you almost killed last week for his venom to create a poisonous instant-kill chemical." She spoke, a small smile finding its way to her face, something that was infrequent and mild when it came to Serenity. She walked out the door into the hallway as Diego fast walked behind her. "How the hell do you even come up with that?" "Huh, maybe you'd be smart enough to comprehend if you considered reading? Perhaps?" she said looking at him sarcastically while walking into the elevator. "Yeah, no I'll leave the book stuff to you," Diego said in defeat causing Serenity to playfully roll her eyes. "Why'd you save me?" "Don't flatter yourself, I only came because the agency said these guys were better than they assumed they would be." "Who are they, what did they even have against that innocent family?" She sighed "That's the problem, we don't know that yet." "I thought you were supposed to be the Detective, y'know all the weird paperwork and figuring things out." "Yeah, no shit batman, I would've figured it out but don't seem to be recorded anywhere, even their real names are unidentified, no sign of families or friends, it's like they just appeared." "That's impossible" he spoke in disbelief at what she said, Diego knew Serenity wasn't one to miss out on details or take this long to track people down, she was a detective after all. "Well, not entirely." With that, she walked out of the elevator and off on her way. "Hey wait, what does that mean!? Can I at least have my knife back!?"

He waited for a response and received the one that he expected, hearing a yell from afar loud enough that he could hear it. "I think I'll keep this one!"