5.The Calm Before The Storm

130 AC

130 AC

"Yield Aely!" Jace's arm wrapped around her, pressing in a tight lock on her neck.

She cackled, stomping forcefully on his foot. "Not so fast, brother."

Jace reared back, releasing her from his grip and she faced him again, raising her sword tentatively.

The passing of time had treated her brothers well, growing tall and strong, and sometimes Aelyria believed she was standing in front of Ser Harwin again, when she looked at them. Luke was taller than her now, and Jace had surpassed her years ago. Little Joffrey had just turned ten, and he was already bigger than her brothers were at his age.

Training together with them and her father made her have no fear. Bruises and broken fingers were ordinary, to her mother's protests, but the advantage of being able to defend herself and the power of mastering a sword was priceless.

She was born for this, and she had trained all her life for it.

"Accept defeat now," Jace taunted with a grin, knowing damn well she won't, "and I'll spare you from new bruises."

Aelyria laughed, twirling her sword with ease. "I'll pass on that offer, brother."

Jace's grin widened as he lunged forward, but Aelyria was ready. She parried his attack effortlessly and then went on the offensive, driving him back with a flurry of strikes.

Luke cheered her on from the sidelines. "Go sister! You're going to beat him!"

"Yes! Go Aely! Show him what you can do!" Little Joffrey's voice beamed.

Dancing between swings, she turned around and smiled at Luke and Joff with confidence. Rhaena clapped her hands, and Clement smirked softly at her from the rock he was seated on.

"It appears the crowd favors you, sweet sister," Jace playfully stated, ever so competitive. "But I fear they will be disappointed."

Aelyria grinned back, entertained by his taunting. "We shall see about that, dearest brother."

With a swift movement Jace rotated on her right, but she was quick and agile, and she anticipated his signature move, not letting herself get trapped again.

She elbowed him hard on the left side of his ribs and Jace dropped, as she pointed her sword at his back.

"Nice move," he wheezed, struggling to regain his breath. "But you played dirty again, I shall have my revenge."

Aelyria shrugged nonchalantly. "Hate the game, not the player, father said."

Ser Steffon and Luke barked out a loud laughter, while Rhaena, Joff and Clement were snickering at each other. She took a moment to bask in her glory, bowing to her small crowd, then she offered her hand to Jace, helping him rise from the ground. Her brother accepted his defeat and stood up, brushing off the sand from his clothes.