6.And So It Begins

Aelyria smiled blissfully from the window. She was sitting on the ledge of it, watching her little brothers enjoy their childhood innocence.

Joff and Jace chased each other around the room, roaring and hissing like dragons, as Luke laid on the rug, content to watch Aegon and Viserys mimicking their fantasy assault on Harrenhal.

The wooden replica of the famous castle stood on their feet, filled with tiny soldiers and dragon figurines lined up along the castle walls. It had melted towers and turrets, a drawbridge and high walls. A perfect recreation of history, she thought.

A harsh gurgling croak attracted her attention, and she saw a raven flying outside the window. Below her brothers' nursery was Dragonstone's rookery.

She had half of a mind to call for Cannibal that was roaming the skies, and order him to roast alive that pesky bird. Ravens always brought some unwanted news.

The scent of war was incensing in the air, and one spark was enough to ignite it.

Aelyria dreaded the day that she would have to face it off, the day that she would lose the little paradise she had with her glimpses of peace, and something was telling her it was approaching swiftly, like a promise, like a debt that needed to be collected, like a raven flying in the air, snaking its way into everyone's fate.

"I am Balerion, the Black Dread," Joffrey roared playfully. "Feel my wrath, Harren!"

"I am Meraxes," Aegon giggled. "Dorne shall bend the knee or burn!"

Aelyria shook off her worries and stood up, eager to join their game. She could feel the love in the room, and she decided to treasure these little moments while she can.

"And who are you, little one?" She lifted Viserys up, swinging him in the air as he cackled uncontrollably.

"I am Vhagar," he groaned, spreading his arms. "And I will come for you!"

She huffed ironically, that much she was sure of.

"And I will fight you," she joked, tickling the little menace of her brother.

The little princes' joy was interrupted when the door opened, and her mother entered the room, a hand on her swollen belly and embers of fire glinting in her eyes.

That damn bird, she cursed.

"Leave us," Rhaenyra commanded the handmaids. "And take the little princes with you."

"What happened?" Jace asked, unsettled by their mother's harsh tone.

"Baela has sent a raven from Driftmark," Rhaenyra gritted out. "The Sea Snake has taken a great wound in battle in the Stepstones, and now lays abed with fever."

"What?" Aelyria's voice wavered in anguish. "Will he survive?"

"We don't know, but that is not everything, there is more," her mother's gaze flitted to Jace. "Vaemond Velaryon means to petition the Crown, calling into question your legitimacy as Lord Corlys' heir," Rhaenyra then turned her eyes to Aelyria, "and by extension yours too as my heir, and consequently my own claim to the Iron Throne."

Jace and Luke's faces fell, their expressions dropping to the floor.

Aelyria wasn't surprised. Vaemond Velaryon made no effort to hide his contempt. She would often endure his blank stares when she visited Baela and Rhaenys, and for their sake, she would bite her tongue every time, but now he sought to openly question her brother's legitimacy, like a mummer on a stage, with the whole world watching as his spectators.

"But our grandfather is still alive," Jace said with indignation. "How could he ask that the succession be settled? Does he have no shame?"

Rhaenyra's eyes smoldered in anger. "Politics has no room for shame, it is a game of power and strategy, and Vaemond Velaryon is playing his part. This is a plot against us and I'm sure the Greens have something to do with it."