CHAPTER II

It took some time for the child to stop crying and finally let go of Lan Wangji's leg so they could sit down in the waiting area. The child protective services lady kept asking him questions that frankly, Lan Wangji had no idea how to answer. He had to get a paternity test to verify that he was in fact the father of the child and she wasn't just leaving a kid with a stranger.

Which she was, since Lan Wangji hadn't seen the child before and he hadn't seen Wei Wuxian in so long.

"I'll come by tomorrow for the results, please understand that there will be a security guard making sure you don't run off with the child." the woman explained.

"I understand." Lan Wangji nodded.

There were so many things wrong with the whole situation but he wasn't about to point it out and risk them taking Wei Yuan. If he was truly his child and Wei Wuxian's, he couldn't forgive himself if something happened to him. Wei Wuxian would most likely kill him if something happened to his son.

So he decided to stay in the hospital and wait for news on Wei Wuxian's condition.

"How do you know about me?" Lan Zhan asked the child as they waited.

"Daddy told me about you."

"What did he say?" Lan Zhan waited, his heart beating faster in apprehension.

"Daddy said Papa couldn't be with us because he had his own things to do. That people can't always be together but that if Papa met me, he'll like me very much! Daddy says I'm a good boy." A-Yuan grinned. "Daddy said Papa is nice even when your face is like this!"

A-Yuan demonstrated with his best efforts a straight face and laughed afterwards.

"Oh! And that Papa is really smart! I am smart because Daddy and Papa are smart."

"Hmm." Lan Wangji's heart threatened to escape from his chest. The child was just adorable and it seemed that Wei Wuxian had spoken well of him, which he didn't deserve with the way that he ended things between them.

"Do you go to school?"

"Yes! I love going! Daddy says you can only get smarter if you go to school and you can also make many friends and play. I love playing." Wei Yuan fiddled with his cross bag, swinging his short legs and his bottom lip started trembling.

"We were going to bake cookies after school. Daddy was going to play with me like always. Now he's sleeping and I'm scared."

"The doctors here are doing their best to help your Daddy." Lan Wangji ran a soothing hand on the back of Wei Yuan, not knowing what else to say or do.

He doesn't know how much had passed, or how he ended with a lap full of a sleeping child, but a doctor finally came with news that Wei Ying was finally stable. It was hard getting more information from the doctor, but he explained Wei Ying's injuries and Lan Wangji swallowed back his fear.

Wei Ying could've died if they hadn't given him help as fast as they did. His son could've died if he hadn't been strapped in on his seat the opposite side of Wei Ying in the car. And it all would've happened without him knowing a thing. The thought brought him close to vomiting and he tightened his arms around his child.

"What paperwork do I have to fill in to move Wei Wuxian into a private room?" Lan Wangji stood up, Wei Yuan still sleeping in his arms, as he stared at the doctor. "He'll get the best this hospital has to offer."

It was both a plea and a threat.

"Follow me, Mr. Lan."

With paperwork filled in, signed as Wei Wuxian's partner just in case someone tries to fuss and not let him be near the father of his child and see to his recovery.

"Daddy?" Wei Yuan mumbled, his eyes fluttering open trying to take in his surroundings.

"Shh. Daddy's sleeping to get better." Lan Wangji rocked side to side to lull his son back to sleep. "I'm here. I'll take care of you and your Dad."