Chapter 2: The Mystery of Tatarasuna

It was a day of celebration all around. You were extremely busy in the kitchen making food in huge amounts. Hisa-nii had just been appointed as the Armory Officer. That called for a feast for all the workers and villagers at your place.

It had just been Hisa-nii and you since as long as you could remember. You never met your parents but your brother told you that they were kind and hard working. In fact the cause of their early death was because of them over working themselves at the furnace and as a result, becoming seriously ill by the toxic end products of smelting. Yet, you knew in your heart they would be super proud of Hisa-nii if they were around today.

"We need more plates, y/n."

You were snapped out of your thoughts by Kabuki. As expected, he was running all around you, helping you out in the kitchen.

"Right, they're just inside the shelf," you said, taking the plates out and handing them over to him. It was at this moment when you saw the look on his face. It was not that different than how he always looked, but it was different enough for you to understand something had been bothering him.

"What's wrong?" you ask.

"What do you mean?" he says as he prepares to leave the kitchen with the plates.

"Wait, Kabuki, did anything happen outside?" You ask again. "Did anyone say anything to you again?"

It was nothing new. Kabuki often got asked by people about who he was and how he came here and why he was so different. No one had any bad intentions for asking him these. They were all just curious. And even though kabuki had confided in you before about how he didn't quite enjoy facing these questions, you had never seen him this bothered.

"Kind of" he admits.

"Well go on then. Let me hear it."

Kabuki looked down at the floor.

"Y/n, you have a heart right?"

"Yes," you sensed where this was going "And? What of it?"

"Someone told me that I don't have a heart. So I'm not human. I know that. But is it possible for me to have a heart?"

These were the times when you could tell that kabuki may look like he was just a few years older than you but in reality his age was much more. He used to ask difficult questions like these too often to a 7 year old child like you.

Nevertheless you never let him unsatisfied with answers.

"Kabuki," you place your hand on his shoulder, "I don't know the answer as to if you will ever have a heart. But I don't think that makes you less human. Different, maybe. But you are just as human as us all."

Kabuki continued staring at the kitchen floor. You had to give him more than that.

"Besides," you continued, "you will always have me with you. And since I have a heart, I'll share it with you. Whatever I feel, you will be able to know it too."

"I think my mother discarded me, y/n."

You were taken aback. Never before you had heard of his mother.

"You see this golden feather?" he asked, pointing at the tiny feather necklace hanging around his neck, "this is a symbol that I'm connected with the shogunate. This means that whoever made me, probably the shogun herself, discarded me at the Shakkei pavilion."

You didn't know what to answer to that.

"Well it's fine I guess" kabuki smiled and looked up, "because of her, I met you. And Hisahide. And Katsuragi-san."